Re: J Neal Montgomery record

  • Mike Parker
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2006
      Thanks again, John. The A-7 is stamped at the opposite side of the runout area from the
      matrix #.

      well, time to find a player for this. It's pretty rough though, has a lot of what looks like
      ground-in dirt in some of the grooves. Could you recommend a good way to clean the
      record? I know not to use alcohol, how about plain old soap and water?

      thanks,
      Mike

      In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@...> wrote:

      > You're welcome, Mike--the letter which concludes the matrix # shows
      > the take designation, so you do have Take B, very rare. I'm not sure
      > what "A-7" signifies... The somewhat less rare take of "Auburn Ave.
      > Stomp" is Take C.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > John
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Parker" <jimiclones@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Wow, thanks! I had no idea. I'd better take care of this one. I
      > literelly rescued it from the
      > > trash at the Goodwill. How can I tell if it is the Take B of Auburn
      > Ave. Stomp? The matrix
      > > numbers of this record are:
      > >
      > > Atlanta Low Down: W402313B A-2
      > > Auburn Ave. Stomp: W402314B A-7

    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hello Mike,

        I've cleaned up quite a few 78's over the years, but yours sounds pretty bad. As you say "how about plain old soap and water?". Don't use plain old soap, because this is alkaline (pH= c. 3). I use washing-up detergent after checking that the pH is virtually neutral (pH about 7). Use a softish brush and, after wetting the whole of the groove area, brush parallel to the grooves while holding the record vertically just over a soft flat surface (in case you drop the record). Rinse and repeat the washing and rinsing until you're satisfied the record's as clean as you can get it. Avoid wetting the labels as much as possible as some may loosen with prolonged wetting.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards

        Bob Smith