"Sunday" by Abe Lyman

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hello listmates,

      We have been discussing, in the Bix Forum, Goldkette's recording
      (10/15/26) of "Sunday." There is a split trombone solo by Bill Rank at
      about 37 seconds: Rank 16 bars; ensemble 8 bars; Rank again 6 (I
      think) bars. You can hear the recording in the red hot jazz site at
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/goldkette/sunday3.ram

      Similar split trombone solos are found in the following recordings of
      "Sunday."

      Kit-Cat 12/1/26
      http://bixography.com/sundaykitkat.ram

      Broadway Bell-Hops 10/22/26
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bellhops/sunday.ram

      The trombone split solos in the Kit-Cat and Bell-Hops recordings are
      similar to each other, including a pass/break (? I don't know the
      technical word) repeated three times just before the trombone comes in.

      I suspect -just a gut feeling- that the Kit-Cat and Bell-Hops
      arrangements -in particular the split trombone solo and preceding
      break/pass- were "inspired" by the earlier (7/26/26) recording of the
      tune by Abe Lyman. The tune is listed in the Abe Lyman page in the red
      hot jazz site, but there is no music file linked to the title.

      Does anyone have a copy of this record? if so, I would be eternally
      grateful for an mp3 file of the recoding. Please send it as an
      attachment to

      alberthaim@...

      Thanks a lot.

      Albert
    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2006
        I just learned that the Broadway Bell-Hops and Kit-Cat Band recordings
        of "Sunday" are based on a stock arrangement by Frank E. Barry. The
        Barry chart has a split trombone solo with the two parts separated by
        a "hot" saxophone solo. I am still looking for an mp3 of the Abe Lyman
        recording.

        Albert

        PS "Sunday" was a popular tune in late 1926. It was recorded three
        times by Sam Lanin (Oct 5, 28, Nov 8, 1926) and also by Don Vorhees
        (Nov 29, 1926) and by Cliff Edwards (Oct 1926).