Re: [RedHotJazz] First Blues (w Blues 1917) I Have It

  • vintagetenor
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 28, 2006
      Hi Scott,

      Thanks so much for the clarification.

      Mike

      Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:
      > To the best of your knowledge, is there an earlier recorded "real
      blues" vocal, or is this the earliest?

      Mike,
      The list at http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstbluesrecords.html is in
      chronological order an represents the first known records that were
      called "Blues"

      To the best of my knowledge the Victor Military Band's version of
      "Memphis Blues" is the 1st record that was called blues.

      To the best of my knowledge Morton Harvey's version of "Memphis Blues"
      is the 1st blues record that was called blues with a vocal.

      To the best of my knowledge George O'Connor's version of "Nigger Blues"
      is the 1st 12 bar blues record, BUT Morton Harvey, Collins and Harlan,
      Irving Kaufman, Arthur Collins, the Peerless Quartet, Oscar Shaw and
      Nora Bayes all recorded blues records with vocals before him BUT they
      were not 12 bar blues to the best of my knowledge.

      Another thing to ponder:
      There may have been 12 bar blues recordings that were not labeled as
      blues. Does anyone know of any before 1917?

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com

    • vintagetenor