Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: JSP at it again

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2005
      As far as I know, the Gus Cannon/John Estes double is indeed "legitimate" - I bought it myself despite having the "Cannon half" on CD already. It doesn't exactly speak for JSP's consumer friendliness if they duplicate material that they themselves have reissued only recently. They did the same with Venuti-Lang when they issued a box borrowing heavily from Mosaic.

      Incidentally, part of the "Breaking Out of New Orleans" box was also pirated, since it uses a rare alternate take issued by Jazz Oracle.

      Coming to other pirates, I have now received confirmation that the Proper Box on Bessie Smith uses John R.T. Davies transfers owned by Frog, as almost everyone has expected it would.

      Its not as if JSP were playing "Robin Hood": their victims are usually small labels which struggle to make ends meet and spend considerable sums on remastering. Ultimately, they will dry up their own sources when they run the small labels out of business.

      I find the practice nauseating.

      Best regards,

      Michael