Re: First Blues (w Blues 1917)

    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 27 12:18 PM
      > Are you sure 80290 is not a CD? I have the LP and it is numbered NW290.

      Copied and pasted from
      http://www.newworldrecords.org/album.cgi?rm=view&album_id=80290 :

      Album Title:Let's Get Loose
      Cat. No.:80290
      Genre:Traditional

      1940s

      This title, which was released as part of the original Recorded Anthology of
      American Music LP collection, has not yet been reissued on compact disc.
      However, you may access the liner notes via the link to your right.
    • vintagetenor
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 28 6:18 PM
        Hi Scott,

        Thanks so much for the clarification.

        Mike

        Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:
        > To the best of your knowledge, is there an earlier recorded "real
        blues" vocal, or is this the earliest?

        Mike,
        The list at http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstbluesrecords.html is in
        chronological order an represents the first known records that were
        called "Blues"

        To the best of my knowledge the Victor Military Band's version of
        "Memphis Blues" is the 1st record that was called blues.

        To the best of my knowledge Morton Harvey's version of "Memphis Blues"
        is the 1st blues record that was called blues with a vocal.

        To the best of my knowledge George O'Connor's version of "Nigger Blues"
        is the 1st 12 bar blues record, BUT Morton Harvey, Collins and Harlan,
        Irving Kaufman, Arthur Collins, the Peerless Quartet, Oscar Shaw and
        Nora Bayes all recorded blues records with vocals before him BUT they
        were not 12 bar blues to the best of my knowledge.

        Another thing to ponder:
        There may have been 12 bar blues recordings that were not labeled as
        blues. Does anyone know of any before 1917?

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com