Re: [RedHotJazz] Hot Jazz Today?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20 8:45 AM
      on 19/2/05 22:31, Scott Alexander at scott@... wrote:

      > Here's a little topic of conversation some of you might be interested in. A
      > teenager asked me what music of today did I feel best captures the spirit of
      > the hot jazz of yesteryear? He wasn't so much interested in someone playing
      > picture perfect reproductions of old jazz but in something a little more
      > elusive about the feel and spirit captured on those old records that he
      > responded to but was still related stylistically
      >
      > It was a hard question.
      >
      > The only things I could come up with was the Rebirth Brass Band
      > http://www.rebirthbrassband.com/rbb/index.shtml . I've seen them live a
      > couple of times live and I'm always listening to their excellent CD "Hot
      > Venom".
      >
      > Any other ideas?

      Anything by Dr. Michael White, especially the two Antilles albums, and the
      two on Basin Street Records, any of Kermit Ruffins's Basin Street albums,
      Leroy Jones's four CDs, the Treme Brass Band's Arhoolie CD, the 2002 session
      by Tuba Fats' Chosen Few Jazzmen on Jazz Crusade.

      Just a few suggestions to be going on with!