Hot Jazz Today?

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2005
      Here's a little topic of conversation some of you might be interested in. A
      teenager asked me what music of today did I feel best captures the spirit of
      the hot jazz of yesteryear? He wasn't so much interested in someone playing
      picture perfect reproductions of old jazz but in something a little more
      elusive about the feel and spirit captured on those old records that he
      responded to but was still related stylistically

      It was a hard question.

      The only things I could come up with was the Rebirth Brass Band
      http://www.rebirthbrassband.com/rbb/index.shtml . I've seen them live a
      couple of times live and I'm always listening to their excellent CD "Hot
      Venom".

      Any other ideas?

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2005
        on 19/2/05 22:31, Scott Alexander at scott@... wrote:

        > Here's a little topic of conversation some of you might be interested in. A
        > teenager asked me what music of today did I feel best captures the spirit of
        > the hot jazz of yesteryear? He wasn't so much interested in someone playing
        > picture perfect reproductions of old jazz but in something a little more
        > elusive about the feel and spirit captured on those old records that he
        > responded to but was still related stylistically
        >
        > It was a hard question.
        >
        > The only things I could come up with was the Rebirth Brass Band
        > http://www.rebirthbrassband.com/rbb/index.shtml . I've seen them live a
        > couple of times live and I'm always listening to their excellent CD "Hot
        > Venom".
        >
        > Any other ideas?

        Anything by Dr. Michael White, especially the two Antilles albums, and the
        two on Basin Street Records, any of Kermit Ruffins's Basin Street albums,
        Leroy Jones's four CDs, the Treme Brass Band's Arhoolie CD, the 2002 session
        by Tuba Fats' Chosen Few Jazzmen on Jazz Crusade.

        Just a few suggestions to be going on with!