J Neal Montgomery record

  • Mike Parker
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
      Hello, found your group while searching for info on this Okeh record. I see it has been
      reissued, but I am wondering are there many of these around?

      Okeh 8682 black label
      J Neal Montgomery & His Orchestra

      Auburn Avenue Stomp/ Atlanta Low Down

      It's in pretty poor shape, cracked and battered but still holding together. I found it in a bin
      at the Goodwill. I saw one for sale on eBay that was in nice shape, it had a red label I think.

      thanks for your help,
      Mike Parker
    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
        Hi Mike,

        78 Quarterly No. 8 estimates "less than 20" copies of this record
        survive (so apparently it's quite a find!)... Among these, it seems
        copies using Take B of "Auburn Ave. Stomp" are more scarce.

        Cheers,

        John

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Parker" <jimiclones@...> wrote:

        > Hello, found your group while searching for info on this Okeh
        record. I see it has been
        > reissued, but I am wondering are there many of these around?
        >
        > Okeh 8682 black label
        > J Neal Montgomery & His Orchestra
        >
        > Auburn Avenue Stomp/ Atlanta Low Down
        >
        > It's in pretty poor shape, cracked and battered but still holding
        together. I found it in a bin
        > at the Goodwill. I saw one for sale on eBay that was in nice shape,
        it had a red label I think.

        > thanks for your help,
        > Mike Parker

      • Mike Parker
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2006
          Wow, thanks! I had no idea. I'd better take care of this one. I literelly rescued it from the
          trash at the Goodwill. How can I tell if it is the Take B of Auburn Ave. Stomp? The matrix
          numbers of this record are:

          Atlanta Low Down: W402313B A-2
          Auburn Ave. Stomp: W402314B A-7

          I wish I had something to play this on. will have to pick up the reissued version on cd.

          thanks very much,
          Mike Parker

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > 78 Quarterly No. 8 estimates "less than 20" copies of this record
          > survive (so apparently it's quite a find!)... Among these, it seems
          > copies using Take B of "Auburn Ave. Stomp" are more scarce.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > John
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Parker" <jimiclones@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello, found your group while searching for info on this Okeh
          > record. I see it has been
          > > reissued, but I am wondering are there many of these around?
          > >
          > > Okeh 8682 black label
          > > J Neal Montgomery & His Orchestra
          > >
          > > Auburn Avenue Stomp/ Atlanta Low Down
          > >
          > > It's in pretty poor shape, cracked and battered but still holding
          > together. I found it in a bin
          > > at the Goodwill. I saw one for sale on eBay that was in nice shape,
          > it had a red label I think.
          > >
          > > thanks for your help,
          > > Mike Parker

        • Mike Parker
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2006
            Thanks again, John. The A-7 is stamped at the opposite side of the runout area from the
            matrix #.

            well, time to find a player for this. It's pretty rough though, has a lot of what looks like
            ground-in dirt in some of the grooves. Could you recommend a good way to clean the
            record? I know not to use alcohol, how about plain old soap and water?

            thanks,
            Mike

            In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@...> wrote:

            > You're welcome, Mike--the letter which concludes the matrix # shows
            > the take designation, so you do have Take B, very rare. I'm not sure
            > what "A-7" signifies... The somewhat less rare take of "Auburn Ave.
            > Stomp" is Take C.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > John
            >
            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Parker" <jimiclones@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Wow, thanks! I had no idea. I'd better take care of this one. I
            > literelly rescued it from the
            > > trash at the Goodwill. How can I tell if it is the Take B of Auburn
            > Ave. Stomp? The matrix
            > > numbers of this record are:
            > >
            > > Atlanta Low Down: W402313B A-2
            > > Auburn Ave. Stomp: W402314B A-7

          • Robert Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
              Hello Mike,

              I've cleaned up quite a few 78's over the years, but yours sounds pretty bad. As you say "how about plain old soap and water?". Don't use plain old soap, because this is alkaline (pH= c. 3). I use washing-up detergent after checking that the pH is virtually neutral (pH about 7). Use a softish brush and, after wetting the whole of the groove area, brush parallel to the grooves while holding the record vertically just over a soft flat surface (in case you drop the record). Rinse and repeat the washing and rinsing until you're satisfied the record's as clean as you can get it. Avoid wetting the labels as much as possible as some may loosen with prolonged wetting.

              Hope this helps.

              Regards

              Bob Smith