Sam Wooding

  • Wouter Maréchal
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
      Just been checking the track list of the Fremaux & Ass. Early Jazz 1917-1923 in their new catalogue. All tracks are on Red Hot Jazz except one 'Moanful Blues' Sam Wooding Orch.1922. According to my old Brian Rust, Wooding did not record under his name before 1925 but made some records accompanying Lucille Hegamin but no 'Moanful blues'. So it is a print error or my B Rust is too old?
      Please help me out on this one.
      Thanks
      Wouter M.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
        Here's what page 504 of my newer Rust says :

        "The next two sides, although labeled as Johnny Dunn's Original Jazz Hounds, are entered in the
        Columbia files simply as ORIGINAL JAZZ HOUNDS, and neither the cornet work nor the arrangement
        are typical of Dunn. They may be the sides referred to in The Chicago Defender of May 13, 1922
        in connection with Sam Wooding's orchestra having recently recorded for Columbia (such records,
        if they were made, were not issued under Wooding's name)
        If the band is Wooding's, the personnel should be: Elmer Chambers, c / Robert Horton, tb / as/
        Rollen Smith, ts / Charles E. Jackson, vn / Sam Wooding, p / Charles Dixon, bj / Bob Ricketts,
        a. New York, February 24, 1922."

        80214-2 Put And Take - aBR
        Col A3579

        80215-2 Moanful Blues
        Col A3579, Re G-7797

        B&GR does not mention any similar title under Lucille Hegamin, EdithWilson or Alberta Hunter.

        > Just been checking the track list of the Fremaux & Ass. Early Jazz 1917-1923 in their new
        > catalogue. All tracks are on Red Hot Jazz except one 'Moanful Blues' Sam Wooding Orch.1922.
        > According to my old Brian Rust, Wooding did not record under his name before 1925 but made
        > some records accompanying Lucille Hegamin but no 'Moanful blues'. So it is a print error or
        > my B Rust is too old?
        > Please help me out on this one.
        > Thanks
        > Wouter M.