Nordskog family (was Another myth?)

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
      I've just researched the Swedish telephone catalogue, and there is only one Nordskog in it, viz. Erik Nordskog who lives in Northern Sweden at Kiruna.

      I'm taking a chance and writing to him to ask if he has any knowledge of these, perhaps mythical, masters.

      I'll report back in due course if and when I hear from Erik Nordskog.

      Cheers

      Bob Smith

    • Mordechai Litzman

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
          Brad Kay, musician, collector, and occasional record producer from
          Venice, California (just South of Santa Monica) is in contact with
          Erik Nordskog, great grandson of Andre/Arnie Nordskog.

          Albert

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

          > I would suggest contacting people with the name Nordskog in
          California. A White Pages search turned up a number of people in the
          Los Angeles - Santa Monica area.

          > Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
          I've just researched the Swedish telephone catalogue, and there is
          only one Nordskog in it, viz. Erik Nordskog who lives in Northern
          Sweden at Kiruna.

          > I'm taking a chance and writing to him to ask if he has any
          knowledge of these, perhaps mythical, masters.

          > I'll report back in due course if and when I hear from Erik Nordskog.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Bob Smith

        • Albert Haim
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
            I forgot to mention that Erik has about 80 masters from his great
            grandfather. Brad describes the collection as, "This collection is a
            cross-section of musical culture in Southern California in the
            unlikely recording years of 1921-22. It features dance bands,
            Hawaiian, popular and art songs, recitations and political speeches,
            maybe some classical." Unfortunately, no Kid Ory, no Jelly Roll
            Morton, and no King Oliver.

            Albert

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

            > Brad Kay, musician, collector, and occasional record producer from
            > Venice, California (just South of Santa Monica) is in contact with
            > Erik Nordskog, great grandson of Andre/Arnie Nordskog.
            >
            > Albert
            >
            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I would suggest contacting people with the name Nordskog in
            > California. A White Pages search turned up a number of people in the
            > Los Angeles - Santa Monica area.
            > >
            > > Robert Smith <robert.smith@> wrote:
            > I've just researched the Swedish telephone catalogue, and there is
            > only one Nordskog in it, viz. Erik Nordskog who lives in Northern
            > Sweden at Kiruna.
            > >
            > > I'm taking a chance and writing to him to ask if he has any
            > knowledge of these, perhaps mythical, masters.
            > >
            > > I'll report back in due course if and when I hear from Erik Nordskog.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > Bob Smith

          • Mordechai Litzman
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
              Are these masters from those that Arto returned? According to GU, Nordskog issued 27 doublesided records, and all the 6 Ory records were "re-issued" on the Spike's brothers label Sunshine Records (i.e. their label was pasted on top of the Nordskog label) .

              Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote: I forgot to mention that Erik has about 80 masters from his great
              grandfather. Brad describes the collection as, "This collection is a
              cross-section of musical culture in Southern California in the
              unlikely recording years of 1921-22. It features dance bands,
              Hawaiian, popular and art songs, recitations and political speeches,
              maybe some classical." Unfortunately, no Kid Ory, no Jelly Roll
              Morton, and no King Oliver.

              Albert

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

              > Brad Kay, musician, collector, and occasional record producer from
              > Venice, California (just South of Santa Monica) is in contact with
              > Erik Nordskog, great grandson of Andre/Arnie Nordskog.
              >
              > Albert
              >
              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I would suggest contacting people with the name Nordskog in
              > California. A White Pages search turned up a number of people in the
              > Los Angeles - Santa Monica area.
              > >
              > > Robert Smith <robert.smith@> wrote:
              > I've just researched the Swedish telephone catalogue, and there is
              > only one Nordskog in it, viz. Erik Nordskog who lives in Northern
              > Sweden at Kiruna.
              > >
              > > I'm taking a chance and writing to him to ask if he has any
              > knowledge of these, perhaps mythical, masters.
              > >
              > > I'll report back in due course if and when I hear from Erik Nordskog.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > >
              > > Bob Smith

            • Albert Haim
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
                Mordechai,

                I am afraid I do not know the answer to your question.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
                  on 12/9/06 20:14, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@... wrote:

                  > Are these masters from those that Arto returned? According to GU, Nordskog
                  > issued 27 doublesided records, and all the 6 Ory records were "re-issued" on
                  > the Spike's brothers label Sunshine Records (i.e. their label was pasted on
                  > top of the Nordskog label)

                  Perhaps worth saying that this is controversial. The Spikes Brothers always
                  claimed that the session was theirs, that they hired Nordskog to record and
                  get it pressed for them, and that he illegitimately put his own label on the
                  pressings, some of which they then converted.

                  We shall never know "the truth", which I put in inverted commas because it
                  may be a relative concept in this case! That the band is credited to Spikes
                  on Nordskog and to Ory on Sunshine has always suggested to me that there may
                  have been a genuine misunderstanding about what was meant to happen.

                • Erlend Bronken
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 15, 2006
                    But there are 348 with this surname registered in the Norwegian catalog.

                    http://www.gulesider.no/tk/search.c?q=Navn%3A%22nordskog%22

                    Best Regards