val salata

  • bernice
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2006
      val salata was my uncle
      he played piano and trumpet with jackteagarden, the dorsey brothers
      that i know of and others i',m sure
      his passion was boogie woogie and jazz, although he wasa trained
      classical pianist.
      he died in france in 1945 while with bobe hope and the uso

      would any of yr group know how i might possibly find any of his music?
      i by accident found one recording with teagarden on armed services
      radio

      i would be very grateful for any help at all

      bernice
    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2006
        Hello Bernice,

        I've found two recordings that I have with Val Salata (and three other trumpet players). They are Jack Teagarden's "Beale Street Blues" and "I Swung The Election" recorded in Los Angeles 1944-08-24. Let me know if you'd like me to put these on a CD "for research purposes".

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith

      • bernice
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
          i joined this group some time ago- and things happened never came to
          visit again

          val salata or vladamir salata was my uncle. he died in france just
          after ww11 the circumstances were never really explained. he either
          jumped from a two story window- or was pushed- we will never know

          but on to his music

          he played with all the usual of his time, teagarden, i know for sure

          mamaybe the dorsey brothers and for a time had his own band.
          i know he played in las vegas too, the frontier?

          i found a picture of him some time ago on the web- so their must be
          music somewhere

          he was a trained classical pianst, but prefered boogie woogie over
          anything and he played the trumpet

          has any one heard of him?

          to find his music would be so great-

          regards to all

          bernice
        • Ron L
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 5:53 AM
            Bernice,

            You might also want to join the 78 collectors list. Go to
            http://www.78online.com

            Ron L