Re: [RedHotJazz] Le Jazz En France by Olivier Brard & Daniel Nevers

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2004
      > Is anyone familar with the book Le Jazz En France by Olivier Brard &
      > Daniel Nevers? Is it a French Jazz discography?

      According to the date, it should closely follow a very long film (4 parts)
      released by Jean-Cristophe Averty for the French TV - I've still got a copy,
      but nothing to play it with, I should borrow and old camcorder ;). If it was
      actually a discography, I would be interested in the first place, so I'll
      inquire...

      (I'll also try to understand why we get duplicates of your messages,
      something wrong with Yahoo again;)

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2004
        > According to the web page:
        > http://www.positifs.org/jazz-passion/20-FAQs/E.Musiciensindex.htm
        > it seems to be a discography.
        > "- Olivier Brard & Daniel Nevers : Le Jazz en France / Jazz and Hot Dance
        > Music Discography, M.A.D., Paris, 1989."

        It should, although they declare that any book including a discography is
        listed under this entry. Nothing on ebay, or online shops selling
        second-hand books either. I couldn't even find any trace of the publisher
        (but you can imagine the result of a Google search for M.A.D., even on
        French websites;)
        I've asked for some friends' help on other groups (Hé, Jean-Michel, since
        you're here too, tu as une idée?)

        Patrice
      • contijoch
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
          Dear Scott:

          This is a work in progress, I think. I was lucky enough to find the first
          three parts when I bought the papers of a deceased argentine collector. Each
          part has an alphabetical order from A-Z. So, if you want to find for
          example: "Orchestre Jazz Du Moulin Rouge", you must look in the "O" letter
          of the three parts.

          The work I have is typed with a typewriter (not PC) and printed in 237 A-4
          pages. I don't know if there are more parts available.

          The copyright is 1989-1991. For those interested there is an address: M.A.D
          (Musique Archives Documents) B.P. Nº 9, F-65700 CASTELNAU-RB, France.
          For those who speak french, can phone to: 62 31 90 61 or fax 62 31 90 60. Be
          ware that this information is from 1991.

          It's a great work, with plenty of information about the jazz recorded in
          France, not only by the french musicians but for others that recorded there
          (Rex Stewart, Lud Gluskin, Bill Coleman, and so on)

          Full personnel when is known, matrix number, title, vocal, date and issue
          (78 and LP/CD)

          Luis Contijoch

        • Scott Alexander
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
            Luis,
            Does Le Jazz En France list Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band?

            I have what I believe is an incomplete discography of the band here:
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/banb.html

            Did he record anything else in France?

            I would also like to draw attention to the fine work Luis has been gracious
            enough to contribute to the Red Hot Jazz Archive. He has been documenting
            Argentine jazz bands of the 1920s on the site.

            http://www.redhotjazz.com/eliorietti.html
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/eliorietti.html
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/lomuto.html
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/armanicospito.html
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/armanio.html
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/cospito.html
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/aviles.html
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/gonzalezjazzband.html

            Scott Alexander
            The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            www.redhotjazz.com
          • contijoch
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
              <Luis,

              <Does Le Jazz En France list Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band?

              <I have what I believe is an incomplete discography of the band here:

              <http://www.redhotjazz.com/banb.html> <http://www.redhotjazz.com/banb.html

              Yes, Scott, are listed both Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band and Billy
              Arnold Et son Orchestre

              Checking your discography page, I see some missing titles and they are:

              BILLY ARNOLD'S NOVELTY JAZZ BAND
              early june 1923
              6950-3r Electric Girl (Pathe 6617)

              june 1923
              6966r Virginia (sic) Blues (Pathe 6627)
              6967r Wind In The Trees (Pathe 6627)
              6968r Touaregs (Pathe 6626)
              6969-5r Tricks (Pathe 6626)

              BILLY ARNOLD ET SON ORCHESTRE
              early november 1930
              300874-1 Anytime's The Time To Fall In Love (Pathe 8784)
              300875-1 Just Like A Story Book (Pathe 8785)
              300876-1 Happy Days Are Here Again (Pathe 8784)
              300877-1 With You (Pathe 8785)

              june 26, 1931
              301220-1 The Peanuts Vendor (Pathe X-96046)
              301221-1 Unidentified Title (Rhumba) (Pathe rejected)
              301222-1 Walkin' My Baby Back Home (Pathe X-96046)
              301223-1 Unidentified Title (Fox-trot) (Pathe (rejected)

              all sessions recorded in Paris, in this discography are missing the London
              titles, listed in your page.

              All the best

              Luis Contijoch