Re: Vicksburg Blowers Mystery Clarinet - Earliest example of cycle breathing?

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
      "Monte Carlo Joys" is wonderful; I have not yet compared it to other
      Dixon alto work...

      In the Red Hot Jazz Archive, composer credit for both titles is
      "Williams." Who does this refer to... J. Mayo Williams?
    • Jeffrey Jastram
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
        Mary Lou????

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
          on 7/9/06 5:17, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

          > "Monte Carlo Joys" is wonderful; I have not yet compared it to other
          > Dixon alto work...
          >
          > In the Red Hot Jazz Archive, composer credit for both titles is
          > "Williams." Who does this refer to... J. Mayo Williams?

          Yes.

          I have no record of the copyright for Monte Carlo Joys, but Tu Cu Blues,
          which is the name of Twin Blues on Black Swan, and also has composer credit
          to Williams, was copyrighted by Williams's State Street Music on 1 December
          1927.
          The copyright registration however is in the name of Vance Dixon, so that
          ties up pretty neatly!
          Odd that he should have made the copyright registration in Dixon's name and
          then claimed credit himself on the labels but that's the record biz for you!