Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Vicksburg Blowers Mystery Clarinet - Earliest example of cycle breathing?

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
      on 6/9/06 4:44, velostigmat at bigbeark@... wrote:

      > Howard:
      >
      > Thanks for the reply, where can I find the monograph?
      > What became of Dixon and Tyndall?

      Dave Nelson And Others: Essays in Historical and Discographical Jazz
      Research by Christopher Hillman and Roy Middleton with Richard Rains,
      published by Cygnet Productions (P.O. Box 4, Tavistock, England, PL19 9YP).
      v + 77 pages. Price: £10 including post & packing to UK & EU, £11 to
      elsewhere. Sterling cheques to Cygnet Productions, sterling or equivalent
      Euros cash acceptable, or by Paypal to <gooferdust@...>

      Vance Dixon was last heard of in 1936 at the Quogue Inn, "Long Island"
      working with June Clark. He vanishes without trace.

      I think Tyndall's later career is unresearched.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
        Cline Tindull, which is the spelling which appears in the original Chicago
        Defender caption to the photograph reproduced in Hillman's book, was born 21
        October 1899.

        In the 1910 census, Cline Tindull, aged 10, he is living on Market Street,
        Lewisport Town, Kentucky, with his mother Katie Tindull, a 29 year old
        bookkeeper, in the home of her parents Cooper and Rachel Lee. There are two
        sister and a brother of Katie's still in the household. Cline was born in
        Ohio and his absent father in Virginia. Everybody else and their parents is
        from Kentucky.

        He registered for the draft as Robert Cline Tindull of 216 Cleveland Avenue,
        Columbus, Ohio, describing himself as a self-employed musician. His mother,
        of the same address, had remarried. From the 1930 census, see below, he name
        was apparently Katherine Brice, but on the draft card it looks more like
        Price.

        In 1920, Klyne Tindull, aged 21 is lodging at 223 Fifth Street, Columbus
        City, Ohio, he is described as a traveling musician. He thought his father
        was Ohio-born like himself.

        In 1930, Klein Tindull, aged 29, is back with his mother, now Katherine
        Brice, a 43-year old widow, at 3420 Michigan Avenue, Chicago. He is a
        "musician theatre". His father's birth state is again given as Virginia.
        Katherine Brice, whose occupation is described as "employment in home"
        evidently took in lodgers. None of the four present are musical but John L.
        and Scotland Harris are respectively "attendant, club" and "bellboy, club".

        Though the spellings are quite clear in all of these records, only the 1910
        census is correctly indexed!

        He can be heard on his own Paramount 12377 (June 1926), an incredibly rare
        record (probably only one copy extant), reissued as far as I know only on
        Frog DGF13 "Alexander, Where's That Band?'

        Also on a lot of Vance Dixon's records (all on RST JPCD1519-2, Jimmy
        O'Bryant (Vol. 2) and Vance Dixon) and with Vance behind the singer Ardella
        Bragg. These are on Document DOCD5341 Tiny Parham and the Blues Singers.
        Chris Hillman thinks this is Tindull, probably because of the presence of
        Vance Dixon, but rejects Rust's suggestion of Tindull on Hattie McDaniels's
        1929 OKeh, preferring Parham. This disc is also on DOCD5341.

        I don't know what the evidence is for his appearance with Harlem House Rent
        Stompers (Brunswick 28 August 1929).

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
          on 6/9/06 12:34, Howard Rye at howard@... wrote:

          > I don't know what the evidence is for his appearance with Harlem House Rent
          > Stompers (Brunswick 28 August 1929).

          It is composer credits to "Tindell-McCord-Tinsley", the three musicians
          reckoned to be present. This is from a Brunswick 7000 listing, not from the
          record, so presented with all due reservation about the spelling "Tindell"!

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
            on 6/9/06 12:34, Howard Rye at howard@... wrote:

            rejects Rust's suggestion of Tindull on Hattie McDaniels's
            > 1929 OKeh, preferring Parham. This disc is also on DOCD5341.

            The 1929 disc in question is actually a Paramount and is on RST JPCD1519-2.
            It is the 1927 OKeh which is on Document. This is an undoubted Tiny Parham
            accompaniment as he is named in the OKeh files.

          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
              "Monte Carlo Joys" is wonderful; I have not yet compared it to other
              Dixon alto work...

              In the Red Hot Jazz Archive, composer credit for both titles is
              "Williams." Who does this refer to... J. Mayo Williams?
            • Jeffrey Jastram
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                Mary Lou????

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                  on 7/9/06 5:17, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

                  > "Monte Carlo Joys" is wonderful; I have not yet compared it to other
                  > Dixon alto work...
                  >
                  > In the Red Hot Jazz Archive, composer credit for both titles is
                  > "Williams." Who does this refer to... J. Mayo Williams?

                  Yes.

                  I have no record of the copyright for Monte Carlo Joys, but Tu Cu Blues,
                  which is the name of Twin Blues on Black Swan, and also has composer credit
                  to Williams, was copyrighted by Williams's State Street Music on 1 December
                  1927.
                  The copyright registration however is in the name of Vance Dixon, so that
                  ties up pretty neatly!
                  Odd that he should have made the copyright registration in Dixon's name and
                  then claimed credit himself on the labels but that's the record biz for you!