Re: [RedHotJazz] Pops Foster

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
      Try Saratoga Shout with Luis Russell and His Orchestra from 1:15 til the end. Great slap bass!

      Andrew Homzy <homzy@...> wrote: What recordings can you recommend in which Pops Foster's special sound is
      clearly heard?

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montréal

    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
        One I neglected to mention, probably his most famous and best-recorded
        work of the '20s--"Mahogany Hall Stomp" by Louis Armstrong. Foster
        lends great rhythmic support to blues choruses by Armstrong and J.C.
        Higginbotham...
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
          on 3/9/06 0:04, Andrew Homzy at homzy@... wrote:

          > What recordings can you recommend in which Pops Foster's special sound is
          > clearly heard?

          Try "Give Me Your Telephone Number/Higginbotham Blues by J.C. Higginbotham &
          His Six Hicks (5 February 1930). This is described in Clayton & Gammond's 14
          Miles On A Clear Night as "the only jazz session actually recorded inside a
          double bass".

          For later stuff he can be well heard on some of the King Jazz sessions and
          on Emmett Berry's 1956 "Swingin' The Berries" set (French Columbia).

        • Leif R. Blom
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            Andrew Homzy <homzy@...> wrote:
            What recordings...

            Well,
            as som other guys, I think the Russel´s are the best.
            Especially Jersey Lightning from sept.-29, where he has
            some nice breaks too.
            Playing with Zutty gives problems to hear his bass.

            yarel 41

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
              There is an American Music CD (AM105), on which Foster is alone with Art Hodes and he recorded quartet sessions with Don Ewell, Darnell Howard and Minor Hall for Good Time Jazz in 1957. There are also latter-day trio recordings with Ray Burke and Hodes on Delmark. The Luis Russells of the 1920s are of course remarkably well recorded, but Foster is more exposed in the small-band context.

              Best regards,

              Michael Rader

              > What recordings can you recommend in which Pops Foster's special sound is
              > clearly heard?
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Andrew Homzy, Montréal

              Erweitern Sie FreeMail zu einem noch leistungsstärkeren E-Mail-Postfach!
            • Andrew Homzy
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
                Thanks to all who have responded to my question.

                I now have the needed sound files.

                Of course, I hope there will be more discussion about early jazz bass
                players in general.

                Cheers,

                Andrew Homzy, Montréal