Re: Pops Foster

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi Andrew,

      I'd recommend his work of late 1929 in general, especially the great
      Luis Russell dates, and some instrumental tests with Armstrong ("I
      Ain't Got Nobody," "Dallas Blues") in December. I'm not as familiar
      with his later (and probably better-recorded) work; he did play on a
      Zutty Singleton record in 1940...

      His session with Morton on 11-13-29 marks one of the few times Jelly
      brought back the string bass after the 1926 Red Hot Peppers, but
      Foster is under-recorded... He's far more audible on the Wilton
      Crawley session of 12-2-29 (also with Morton).

      Regards,

      John

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <homzy@...> wrote:

      > What recordings can you recommend in which Pops Foster's special
      sound is
      > clearly heard?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Andrew Homzy, Montréal
    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
        Try Saratoga Shout with Luis Russell and His Orchestra from 1:15 til the end. Great slap bass!

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
          One I neglected to mention, probably his most famous and best-recorded
          work of the '20s--"Mahogany Hall Stomp" by Louis Armstrong. Foster
          lends great rhythmic support to blues choruses by Armstrong and J.C.
          Higginbotham...
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            on 3/9/06 0:04, Andrew Homzy at homzy@... wrote:

            > What recordings can you recommend in which Pops Foster's special sound is
            > clearly heard?

            Try "Give Me Your Telephone Number/Higginbotham Blues by J.C. Higginbotham &
            His Six Hicks (5 February 1930). This is described in Clayton & Gammond's 14
            Miles On A Clear Night as "the only jazz session actually recorded inside a
            double bass".

            For later stuff he can be well heard on some of the King Jazz sessions and
            on Emmett Berry's 1956 "Swingin' The Berries" set (French Columbia).

          • Leif R. Blom
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
              Andrew Homzy <homzy@...> wrote:
              What recordings...

              Well,
              as som other guys, I think the Russel´s are the best.
              Especially Jersey Lightning from sept.-29, where he has
              some nice breaks too.
              Playing with Zutty gives problems to hear his bass.

              yarel 41

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
                There is an American Music CD (AM105), on which Foster is alone with Art Hodes and he recorded quartet sessions with Don Ewell, Darnell Howard and Minor Hall for Good Time Jazz in 1957. There are also latter-day trio recordings with Ray Burke and Hodes on Delmark. The Luis Russells of the 1920s are of course remarkably well recorded, but Foster is more exposed in the small-band context.

                Best regards,

                Michael Rader

                > What recordings can you recommend in which Pops Foster's special sound is
                > clearly heard?
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Andrew Homzy, Montréal

                Erweitern Sie FreeMail zu einem noch leistungsstärkeren E-Mail-Postfach!
              • Andrew Homzy
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
                  Thanks to all who have responded to my question.

                  I now have the needed sound files.

                  Of course, I hope there will be more discussion about early jazz bass
                  players in general.

                  Cheers,

                  Andrew Homzy, Montréal