Re: Bing on Charleston?

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2006
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Robbins"
      <coneyislandtodd@...> wrote:

      > On the liner notes of a CD of 1920s music it states that Bing is the
      > one doing the scat-ish singing on Paul Whiteman's recording of
      > Charleston. This recording is from the year before Bing's first vocal
      > with Whiteman, so is this fact true and that is Bing on Charleston?
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Todd Robbins

      Todd,

      The "scat vocalist" (more like grunts than scatting) in the May 7,
      1925 recording of "Charleston" by Paul Whiteman (only in take 8, not
      in take 5) is, according to Don Rayno, "Paul Whiteman, Pioneer in
      American Music, Volume !: 1890-1930", Studies in Jazz, No. 43, The
      Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2003, "unknown, neither Grofe's arrangement nor
      the Victor log gives any indication of who he is."

      We don't know who he is, but he certainly is not Bing Crosby.
      According to Malcolm Macfarlane's Bing Crosby - A Diary of a Lifetime,
      http://community.mcckc.edu/crosby/1920s.htm
      Bing was engaged as part of a vocal quartet (Al Rinker was one of
      them) for the gala reopening of the Clemmer Theater in Spokane,
      Washington on May 9, 1925.

      It is virtually impossible for Bing to have been in Camden, NJ
      recording with Whiteman on May 7 and in Spokane two days later for the
      opening of the Clemmer Theatre. Incidentally, Bing did not leave the
      Spokane area until October 1925.

      Albert