Re: Scott

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 25, 2006
      Luis,

      I am not sure anyone on the list can really help deceiphering the "Chinese"
      message more than Scott himself.
      All I know about SPF (Sender Policy Framework) is that it is a new and
      limited anti-spam device which is meant to reject messages sent from faked
      addresses. For some reason, Scott's server considered that your IP address
      200.45.191.22 - which is correct, as far as I can tell from the source of
      the mail you've just sent to the group - did not match your domaine name
      (@...)
      If this poor info is of no help to you, I suggest you report the incident to
      your provider.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2006
        Sorry Scott. Rejected Again

        Luis

        Hi. This is the qmail-send program at smtp-02.arnet.com.ar.

        domain contijoch1@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2014
          From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
          Subject: 1920s Jazz Musicans
          Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 20:33:26 -0700

          FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
          CONTACT: Scott Alexander - (415) 431-6287

          Technoir announces The Red Hot Jazz Archive a comprehensive website
          devoted to Jazz before 1930.

          SAN FRANCISCO, CA., April 24th 1997 - Technoir is making available
          without cost a website devoted to Jazz before 1930 via the Internet.
          The site is the most complete Jazz archive on the web. Users can hear
          complete recordings and read hundreds of biographies of artists and
          bands from this era.

          The URL is:
          www.technoir.net/jazz

          The Red Hot Jazz Archive is loaded with features for the Jazz enthusiast
          as well as the casual music lover. Among the famous performers on the
          site are: Louis Armstrong, Bix Biederbecke, Duke Ellington, and Jelly
          Roll Morton. The Red Hot Jazz Archive also includes dozens of lesser
          known talents such as King Oliver, Johnny Dodds, Bennie Moten. The Red
          Hot Jazz Archive provides complete discographies along with thousands of
          recordings from the early years of Jazz, users can listen to this great
          music while reading hyperlinked biographies of musicians and bands. All
          songs are full length and available as streaming Real Audio 3 files, to
          avoid long download times.

          Unlike typical websites, The Red Hot Jazz Archive has a depth that
          rivals books, and audio recordings. The scope of this site is unrivaled
          on the Internet. Songs, artists and titles are all exhaustively
          cross-referenced and easy to use.

          Interested parties can visit the WWW site at www.technoir.net/jazz or
          contact Scott Alexander directly at:

          scott@...

          Technoir
          1540 Howard St.
          San Francisco, CA 94103-2525
          (415) 431-6287

        • Wouter Maréchal
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2014
            URL DOES NOT WORK!
            Wouter M.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15, 2014
              Hi Wouter,
              of course it doesn't work, for it was a very early version of what later became the Red Hot Jazz website under its own domain name.

              On archive.org we can track the initial technoir domain back to 1997, later entries after 1999 all return an "Error 302":
              https://web.archive.org/web/19980515000000*/http://www.technoir.net/jazz

              The first 1997 / 1998 version looked like this, when archive.org's crawler saved it:
              https://web.archive.org/web/19981203092745/http://www.technoir.net/Jazz/
              (Dec. 5, 1998)

              The first site looks so beautifully innocent and humble, but at the same time really serious about everything!
              Mordechai: thanks a lot for leading us to nostalgia land by forwarding Scott's early (and meanwhile historic!) email.
              Love all of what later became of it!

              Best,
              Markus

              P.S.: already sent that reply on Sept 2, but seem to have used a wrong email address.
              I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird, sometimes this email client tends to make its own decisions.
              Apart from that: I'm very happy with that great MS Outlook alternative.

                Message 8 of 11 , Sep 18, 2014
                  Hurrm (reference to Watchmen),

                  Good detective work, Chuck et al.

                  Of course Scott's already proven his intelligence/ability, which means he can hopefully contact the List (probably Patrice) any time he wants to.

                  I'm sure he appreciates our appreciation and interest, but I for one wouldn't be comfortable sending him a LinkedIn request!

                  [not that Chuck Bihun suggested anyone do so]
                  - Andrew

                  From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
                  Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 20:33:26 -0700

                  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                  CONTACT: Scott Alexander - (415) 431-6287

                  Technoir announces The Red Hot Jazz Archive a comprehensive website
                  devoted to Jazz before 1930.

                  SAN FRANCISCO, CA., April 24th 1997 - Technoir is making available

                  --
                  Andrew Taylor, MLS
                  Associate Curator, Visual Resources
                  Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2014
                    Hello!

                    Despite my very long inactivity in this group, I just wondered if
                    someone had an idea about what happened with the Mellotone Records
                    run by Ned Newitt? I used buying all of his CDs, but my last contact
                    with him goes back to about 2005 and when I was looking for the
                    Mellotone Records webpage recently, I couldn't find it anymore...
                    Thanks in advance!

                    Have a nice evening / day.

                    Cheers,

                    Pavel
                  • Wallerism
                    Message 10 of 11 , Oct 4, 2014
                      Hi Pavel,

                      according to archive.org: last time that Mellotone's website was found active
                      was on May 17, 2014.

                      All years:
                      https://web.archive.org/web/20140415000000*/http://www.mellotonerecords.com/
                      May 17, 2014:
                      https://web.archive.org/web/20140517190552/http://mellotonerecords.com/

                      It looks as if the webite's registered domain will expire on March 3, 2015.
                      Same with his other domain citizensofswing.com, it looks as if it was hosted
                      by the same company, similar error page.

                      All years:
                      https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.citizensofswing.com/
                      May 17, 2014:
                      https://web.archive.org/web/20140517052612/http://citizensofswing.com/
                      This one is currently set to expire on March 28, 2015 (regged via tucows).

                      Perhaps you can contact Mr. Ned Newitt via LinkedIn:
                      http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/ned-newitt/53/a30/865

                      Let's hope that nothing bad has happened to him.

                      Best wishes,
                      Markus

                      --

                      Am 03.10.2014 um 18:36 schrieb Pavel Pitra Pavel.Pitra@...