Alphonse Picou playing "High Society" (1959)

  • Agustín Pérez
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17, 2006
      With the Paul Barbarin band.

      At www.youtube.com:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N7JcENEwo8

      Best wishes,
      Agustín
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2006
        Many thanks Agustin for the YOU TUBE link.

        There is a lot of stuff up --albeit in bad quality usually -but hard to find
        without a specific name to search.

        I note the peculiar instrument that Picou is playing with an upturned
        'bell'.

        Did any other player use this and does anybody know its provenance or
        particular tonal qualities ?

      • David Richoux
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2006
          Tom Sharpsteen (of his Orlandos, and many other bands) plays one that
          looks very similar. He calls it a Clarinetto in Ebano (Eb?) but did a
          quick search and found both straight bell and hooked bell versions
          (seems like Clarinetto is simply Italian for clarinet...)

          Wikipedia and other finds suggest to me that Picou's might be an
          adaptation of an Albert System clarinet with the bell from an Alto
          Clarinet. Since Alphonse was also a metalworker he could have made or
          adapted one himself. There is one small, undated picture of him with
          the instrument
          at http://www.hooper-home.com/JAZZHIST/JAZZ.HTM

          Dave Richoux (amateur musicologist)

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 17, 2006
            Thanks David

            All later photos of Picou show the unique instrument.

            I especially recommend the LOUISIANA DIGITAL LIBRARY which offers online not
            only many fascinating photos but also unissued music.

            An early photo of him, as a young man, however, shows the normal straight
            instrument.

            I think there can be no doubt that this is a B flat instrument. The body
            appears wood but the bell metal. Pictures of Alto clt suggest a similar
            construction.

            There is one photo of him in parade cap with the instrument and this
            suggests to me the only reason for the amendment --its extra carrying power.