Re: One Bixian is Back (was Bee Palmer and Ralph Berton)

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
      Hello Jeffrey,

      All takes of these tunes are the same, as far as I know. Your date
      for "Wringin' and Twistin'" is correct; "In A Mist" was recorded on
      9-9-27.

      Bix seems to have made no other solo piano records, but he plays piano
      on "Wringin' and Twistin'," and "For No Reason At All In C" (5-13-27).
      Three of his solo piano compositions were later recorded by Jess
      Stacey: "Flashes," "In the Dark" (both 1935), and "Candlelights" (1939).

      Regards,

      John

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...> wrote:

      > Gentlemen:
      > Please help ...
      > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
      40916/81450 and
      > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
      09/17/27
      > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
      > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
      "/81450") but
      > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
      >
      > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
      Same
      > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
      recorded
      > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
      >
      > Another Bix fan,
      >
      > Jeff
    • Jeffrey Jastram
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
        Thanks. John.

      • loerchen2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
          And don't forget his piano solo on "Big Boy" --

          Sue

          All takes of these tunes are the same, as far as I know. Your date
          for "Wringin' and Twistin'" is correct; "In A Mist" was recorded on
          9-9-27.

          Bix seems to have made no other solo piano records, but he plays piano
          on "Wringin' and Twistin'," and "For No Reason At All In C" (5-13-27).
          Three of his solo piano compositions were later recorded by Jess
          Stacey: "Flashes," "In the Dark" (both 1935), and "Candlelights" (1939).

          Regards,

          John

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...> wrote:

          > Gentlemen:
          > Please help ...
          > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
          40916/81450 and
          > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
          09/17/27
          > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
          > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
          "/81450") but
          > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
          >
          > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
          Same
          > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
          recorded
          > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
          >
          > Another Bix fan,
          >
          > Jeff

        • Albert Haim
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
            Only one take each of "Wringin' and Twistin'" and of "In A Mist" were
            issued. The respective masters are W 81450-A and W 81426-B.

            I only mentioned the issues of "Wringin' ..." for which I have scans
            of the labels. That is why I did not cite the Vocalion 3150.

            Bix can be heard on piano in

            In A Mist Bix
            Wringin' and Twistin' Bix, Tram and Lang
            For No Reason At All in C Bix, Tram and Lang
            Big Boy Wolverines

            Bix wrote three other piano compositions (Candlelights, In the Dark
            and Flashes) but did not record them.

            There is an interview of Lou Panico by John Stein in which Panico
            states that Bix recorded some piano rolls. If they were made, they
            have not been found.

            Albert

            W--- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...>
            wrote:

            > Gentlemen:
            > Please help ...
            > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
            40916/81450 and
            > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
            09/17/27
            > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
            > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
            "/81450") but
            > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
            >
            > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
            Same
            > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
            recorded
            > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
            >
            > Another Bix fan,
            >
            > Jeff

          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9, 2006
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, loerchen2@... wrote:

              > And don't forget his piano solo on "Big Boy" --
              >
              > Sue

              Thanks, Sue--I didn't know about that one--one of many gaps in my
              knowledge of Bixology!

              John