Re: One Bixian is Back (was Bee Palmer and Ralph Berton)

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
      Hi Albert,

      Thanks for the references... Ma Rainey's version isn't the same tune
      as Waller's/Trumbauer's. It's an interesting original song, arranged
      for a jazz band, and not really a blues. It was registered for
      copyright in 1926--words and music by Paul Carter.

      Regards,

      John

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

      > "Wringin' and Twistin'"--does anyone know the story
      > > behind its composition? I find the idea of a Waller/Trumbauer
      > > collaboration in 1927 fascinating, but I wonder if it really
      > > happened...
      >
      > According to Philip Evans and Linda Evans, "Bix, The Leon Bix
      > Beiderbecke Story" (Prelike Press, 1998; Phil Evans spent 50 years
      > researching the life of Bix. The results of his work -a day by day
      > chronology with innumerable quotes from people who knew Bix, complete
      > letters from Bix to his parents and fellow musicians, complete
      > discographical information, etc.- are presented in enormous detail in
      > this book), page 284,
      >
      > "Althouh Tram and Fats Waller are listed as co-composers, it seems
      > more likely that Tram arranged the Waller tune for the trio to record."
      >
      > Ma Rainey recorded "Wringin' and Twistin' Blues" early in 1926 (PM
      > 12338). Is this the same tune as the one Bix, Tram and Lang recorded?
      >
      > To see the OK and Odeon labels of Bix, Tram and Eddie recording of
      > "Wringin' and Twistin'" click on
      >
      > http://bixography.com/images/wringingokeh.JPG
      >
      > http://bixography.com/images/wringinantwistinodeonswing.jpg
      >
      > Albert

    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
        Hello Jeffrey,

        All takes of these tunes are the same, as far as I know. Your date
        for "Wringin' and Twistin'" is correct; "In A Mist" was recorded on
        9-9-27.

        Bix seems to have made no other solo piano records, but he plays piano
        on "Wringin' and Twistin'," and "For No Reason At All In C" (5-13-27).
        Three of his solo piano compositions were later recorded by Jess
        Stacey: "Flashes," "In the Dark" (both 1935), and "Candlelights" (1939).

        Regards,

        John

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...> wrote:

        > Gentlemen:
        > Please help ...
        > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
        40916/81450 and
        > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
        09/17/27
        > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
        > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
        "/81450") but
        > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
        >
        > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
        Same
        > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
        recorded
        > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
        >
        > Another Bix fan,
        >
        > Jeff
      • Jeffrey Jastram
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
          Thanks. John.

        • loerchen2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
            And don't forget his piano solo on "Big Boy" --

            Sue

            All takes of these tunes are the same, as far as I know. Your date
            for "Wringin' and Twistin'" is correct; "In A Mist" was recorded on
            9-9-27.

            Bix seems to have made no other solo piano records, but he plays piano
            on "Wringin' and Twistin'," and "For No Reason At All In C" (5-13-27).
            Three of his solo piano compositions were later recorded by Jess
            Stacey: "Flashes," "In the Dark" (both 1935), and "Candlelights" (1939).

            Regards,

            John

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...> wrote:

            > Gentlemen:
            > Please help ...
            > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
            40916/81450 and
            > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
            09/17/27
            > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
            > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
            "/81450") but
            > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
            >
            > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
            Same
            > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
            recorded
            > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
            >
            > Another Bix fan,
            >
            > Jeff

          • Albert Haim
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
              Only one take each of "Wringin' and Twistin'" and of "In A Mist" were
              issued. The respective masters are W 81450-A and W 81426-B.

              I only mentioned the issues of "Wringin' ..." for which I have scans
              of the labels. That is why I did not cite the Vocalion 3150.

              Bix can be heard on piano in

              In A Mist Bix
              Wringin' and Twistin' Bix, Tram and Lang
              For No Reason At All in C Bix, Tram and Lang
              Big Boy Wolverines

              Bix wrote three other piano compositions (Candlelights, In the Dark
              and Flashes) but did not record them.

              There is an interview of Lou Panico by John Stein in which Panico
              states that Bix recorded some piano rolls. If they were made, they
              have not been found.

              Albert

              W--- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...>
              wrote:

              > Gentlemen:
              > Please help ...
              > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
              40916/81450 and
              > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
              09/17/27
              > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
              > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
              "/81450") but
              > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
              >
              > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
              Same
              > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
              recorded
              > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
              >
              > Another Bix fan,
              >
              > Jeff

            • spacelights
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 9, 2006
                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, loerchen2@... wrote:

                > And don't forget his piano solo on "Big Boy" --
                >
                > Sue

                Thanks, Sue--I didn't know about that one--one of many gaps in my
                knowledge of Bixology!

                John