Re: One Bixian is Back (was Bee Palmer and Ralph Berton)

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
      "Wringin' and Twistin'"--does anyone know the story
      > behind its composition? I find the idea of a Waller/Trumbauer
      > collaboration in 1927 fascinating, but I wonder if it really
      > happened...

      According to Philip Evans and Linda Evans, "Bix, The Leon Bix
      Beiderbecke Story" (Prelike Press, 1998; Phil Evans spent 50 years
      researching the life of Bix. The results of his work -a day by day
      chronology with innumerable quotes from people who knew Bix, complete
      letters from Bix to his parents and fellow musicians, complete
      discographical information, etc.- are presented in enormous detail in
      this book), page 284,

      "Althouh Tram and Fats Waller are listed as co-composers, it seems
      more likely that Tram arranged the Waller tune for the trio to record."

      Ma Rainey recorded "Wringin' and Twistin' Blues" early in 1926 (PM
      12338). Is this the same tune as the one Bix, Tram and Lang recorded?

      To see the OK and Odeon labels of Bix, Tram and Eddie recording of
      "Wringin' and Twistin'" click on

      http://bixography.com/images/wringingokeh.JPG

      http://bixography.com/images/wringinantwistinodeonswing.jpg

      Albert
    • Jeffrey Jastram
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
        Gentlemen:
        Please help ...
        I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh 40916/81450 and
        Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded 09/17/27
        (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
        identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain "/81450") but
        in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.

        Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different? Same
        questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos recorded
        by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!

        Another Bix fan,

        Jeff

        "Wringin' and Twistin'"--does anyone know the story
        > behind its composition? I find the idea of a Waller/Trumbauer
        > collaboration in 1927 fascinating, but I wonder if it really
        > happened...

        According to Philip Evans and Linda Evans, "Bix, The Leon Bix
        Beiderbecke Story" (Prelike Press, 1998; Phil Evans spent 50 years
        researching the life of Bix. The results of his work -a day by day
        chronology with innumerable quotes from people who knew Bix, complete
        letters from Bix to his parents and fellow musicians, complete
        discographical information, etc.- are presented in enormous detail in
        this book), page 284,

        "Althouh Tram and Fats Waller are listed as co-composers, it seems
        more likely that Tram arranged the Waller tune for the trio to record."

        Ma Rainey recorded "Wringin' and Twistin' Blues" early in 1926 (PM
        12338). Is this the same tune as the one Bix, Tram and Lang recorded?

        To see the OK and Odeon labels of Bix, Tram and Eddie recording of
        "Wringin' and Twistin'" click on

        http://bixography.com/images/wringingokeh.JPG

        http://bixography.com/images/wringinantwistinodeonswing.jpg

        Albert
      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
          Hi Albert,

          Thanks for the references... Ma Rainey's version isn't the same tune
          as Waller's/Trumbauer's. It's an interesting original song, arranged
          for a jazz band, and not really a blues. It was registered for
          copyright in 1926--words and music by Paul Carter.

          Regards,

          John

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

          > "Wringin' and Twistin'"--does anyone know the story
          > > behind its composition? I find the idea of a Waller/Trumbauer
          > > collaboration in 1927 fascinating, but I wonder if it really
          > > happened...
          >
          > According to Philip Evans and Linda Evans, "Bix, The Leon Bix
          > Beiderbecke Story" (Prelike Press, 1998; Phil Evans spent 50 years
          > researching the life of Bix. The results of his work -a day by day
          > chronology with innumerable quotes from people who knew Bix, complete
          > letters from Bix to his parents and fellow musicians, complete
          > discographical information, etc.- are presented in enormous detail in
          > this book), page 284,
          >
          > "Althouh Tram and Fats Waller are listed as co-composers, it seems
          > more likely that Tram arranged the Waller tune for the trio to record."
          >
          > Ma Rainey recorded "Wringin' and Twistin' Blues" early in 1926 (PM
          > 12338). Is this the same tune as the one Bix, Tram and Lang recorded?
          >
          > To see the OK and Odeon labels of Bix, Tram and Eddie recording of
          > "Wringin' and Twistin'" click on
          >
          > http://bixography.com/images/wringingokeh.JPG
          >
          > http://bixography.com/images/wringinantwistinodeonswing.jpg
          >
          > Albert

        • spacelights
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
            Hello Jeffrey,

            All takes of these tunes are the same, as far as I know. Your date
            for "Wringin' and Twistin'" is correct; "In A Mist" was recorded on
            9-9-27.

            Bix seems to have made no other solo piano records, but he plays piano
            on "Wringin' and Twistin'," and "For No Reason At All In C" (5-13-27).
            Three of his solo piano compositions were later recorded by Jess
            Stacey: "Flashes," "In the Dark" (both 1935), and "Candlelights" (1939).

            Regards,

            John

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...> wrote:

            > Gentlemen:
            > Please help ...
            > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
            40916/81450 and
            > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
            09/17/27
            > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
            > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
            "/81450") but
            > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
            >
            > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
            Same
            > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
            recorded
            > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
            >
            > Another Bix fan,
            >
            > Jeff
          • Jeffrey Jastram
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
              Thanks. John.

            • loerchen2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
                And don't forget his piano solo on "Big Boy" --

                Sue

                All takes of these tunes are the same, as far as I know. Your date
                for "Wringin' and Twistin'" is correct; "In A Mist" was recorded on
                9-9-27.

                Bix seems to have made no other solo piano records, but he plays piano
                on "Wringin' and Twistin'," and "For No Reason At All In C" (5-13-27).
                Three of his solo piano compositions were later recorded by Jess
                Stacey: "Flashes," "In the Dark" (both 1935), and "Candlelights" (1939).

                Regards,

                John

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...> wrote:

                > Gentlemen:
                > Please help ...
                > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
                40916/81450 and
                > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
                09/17/27
                > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
                > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
                "/81450") but
                > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
                >
                > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
                Same
                > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
                recorded
                > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
                >
                > Another Bix fan,
                >
                > Jeff

              • Albert Haim
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
                  Only one take each of "Wringin' and Twistin'" and of "In A Mist" were
                  issued. The respective masters are W 81450-A and W 81426-B.

                  I only mentioned the issues of "Wringin' ..." for which I have scans
                  of the labels. That is why I did not cite the Vocalion 3150.

                  Bix can be heard on piano in

                  In A Mist Bix
                  Wringin' and Twistin' Bix, Tram and Lang
                  For No Reason At All in C Bix, Tram and Lang
                  Big Boy Wolverines

                  Bix wrote three other piano compositions (Candlelights, In the Dark
                  and Flashes) but did not record them.

                  There is an interview of Lou Panico by John Stein in which Panico
                  states that Bix recorded some piano rolls. If they were made, they
                  have not been found.

                  Albert

                  W--- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Gentlemen:
                  > Please help ...
                  > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
                  40916/81450 and
                  > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
                  09/17/27
                  > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
                  > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
                  "/81450") but
                  > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
                  >
                  > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
                  Same
                  > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
                  recorded
                  > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
                  >
                  > Another Bix fan,
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • spacelights
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 9, 2006
                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, loerchen2@... wrote:

                    > And don't forget his piano solo on "Big Boy" --
                    >
                    > Sue

                    Thanks, Sue--I didn't know about that one--one of many gaps in my
                    knowledge of Bixology!

                    John