Re: One Bixian is Back (was Bee Palmer and Ralph Berton)

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8 12:49 AM
      I listened to "In A Mist" last night. We're lucky to have that
      record. Also "Wringin' and Twistin'"--does anyone know the story
      behind its composition? I find the idea of a Waller/Trumbauer
      collaboration in 1927 fascinating, but I wonder if it really
      happened... Jo Trent seems to have written some lyrics for it, not
      recorded at the time.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

      > I am back from that magic town, Davenport, Iowa where Bix was born.
      > The Bix Festival this year was better than ever. We had a stellar
      > group of musicians and scholars. I will just mention the scholars.
      >
      > Michael Cogswell Director of the Louis Armstrong Museum and Archives,
      > Queens NY
      > Bruce Boyce Raeburn, Curator of the Hogan Jazz Archive, Tulane
      > University, New Orleans, LA
      > Duncan Schiedt, author, specialized in historic jazz photos,
      Pittsboro, IN
      > Richard Sudhalter, uthor, musician, jazz historian, Southold, NY
      > Deborah Gillaspie, Curator, Chicago Jazz Archive, Chicago, IL
      > Dan Morgenstern, Director, Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers
      > University, NJ
      > George Avakian, record producer, writer, Riverdale, NY
    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8 6:19 AM
        "Wringin' and Twistin'"--does anyone know the story
        > behind its composition? I find the idea of a Waller/Trumbauer
        > collaboration in 1927 fascinating, but I wonder if it really
        > happened...

        According to Philip Evans and Linda Evans, "Bix, The Leon Bix
        Beiderbecke Story" (Prelike Press, 1998; Phil Evans spent 50 years
        researching the life of Bix. The results of his work -a day by day
        chronology with innumerable quotes from people who knew Bix, complete
        letters from Bix to his parents and fellow musicians, complete
        discographical information, etc.- are presented in enormous detail in
        this book), page 284,

        "Althouh Tram and Fats Waller are listed as co-composers, it seems
        more likely that Tram arranged the Waller tune for the trio to record."

        Ma Rainey recorded "Wringin' and Twistin' Blues" early in 1926 (PM
        12338). Is this the same tune as the one Bix, Tram and Lang recorded?

        To see the OK and Odeon labels of Bix, Tram and Eddie recording of
        "Wringin' and Twistin'" click on

        http://bixography.com/images/wringingokeh.JPG

        http://bixography.com/images/wringinantwistinodeonswing.jpg

        Albert
      • Jeffrey Jastram
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8 10:57 AM
          Gentlemen:
          Please help ...
          I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh 40916/81450 and
          Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded 09/17/27
          (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
          identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain "/81450") but
          in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.

          Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different? Same
          questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos recorded
          by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!

          Another Bix fan,

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8 11:59 AM
            Hi Albert,

            Thanks for the references... Ma Rainey's version isn't the same tune
            as Waller's/Trumbauer's. It's an interesting original song, arranged
            for a jazz band, and not really a blues. It was registered for
            copyright in 1926--words and music by Paul Carter.

            Regards,

            John

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

            > "Wringin' and Twistin'"--does anyone know the story
            > > behind its composition? I find the idea of a Waller/Trumbauer
            > > collaboration in 1927 fascinating, but I wonder if it really
            > > happened...
            >
            > According to Philip Evans and Linda Evans, "Bix, The Leon Bix
            > Beiderbecke Story" (Prelike Press, 1998; Phil Evans spent 50 years
            > researching the life of Bix. The results of his work -a day by day
            > chronology with innumerable quotes from people who knew Bix, complete
            > letters from Bix to his parents and fellow musicians, complete
            > discographical information, etc.- are presented in enormous detail in
            > this book), page 284,
            >
            > "Althouh Tram and Fats Waller are listed as co-composers, it seems
            > more likely that Tram arranged the Waller tune for the trio to record."
            >
            > Ma Rainey recorded "Wringin' and Twistin' Blues" early in 1926 (PM
            > 12338). Is this the same tune as the one Bix, Tram and Lang recorded?
            >
            > To see the OK and Odeon labels of Bix, Tram and Eddie recording of
            > "Wringin' and Twistin'" click on
            >
            > http://bixography.com/images/wringingokeh.JPG
            >
            > http://bixography.com/images/wringinantwistinodeonswing.jpg
            >
            > Albert

          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8 12:29 PM
              Hello Jeffrey,

              All takes of these tunes are the same, as far as I know. Your date
              for "Wringin' and Twistin'" is correct; "In A Mist" was recorded on
              9-9-27.

              Bix seems to have made no other solo piano records, but he plays piano
              on "Wringin' and Twistin'," and "For No Reason At All In C" (5-13-27).
              Three of his solo piano compositions were later recorded by Jess
              Stacey: "Flashes," "In the Dark" (both 1935), and "Candlelights" (1939).

              Regards,

              John

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...> wrote:

              > Gentlemen:
              > Please help ...
              > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
              40916/81450 and
              > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
              09/17/27
              > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
              > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
              "/81450") but
              > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
              >
              > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
              Same
              > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
              recorded
              > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
              >
              > Another Bix fan,
              >
              > Jeff
            • Jeffrey Jastram
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8 12:42 PM
                Thanks. John.

              • loerchen2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8 12:43 PM
                  And don't forget his piano solo on "Big Boy" --

                  Sue

                  All takes of these tunes are the same, as far as I know. Your date
                  for "Wringin' and Twistin'" is correct; "In A Mist" was recorded on
                  9-9-27.

                  Bix seems to have made no other solo piano records, but he plays piano
                  on "Wringin' and Twistin'," and "For No Reason At All In C" (5-13-27).
                  Three of his solo piano compositions were later recorded by Jess
                  Stacey: "Flashes," "In the Dark" (both 1935), and "Candlelights" (1939).

                  Regards,

                  John

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...> wrote:

                  > Gentlemen:
                  > Please help ...
                  > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
                  40916/81450 and
                  > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
                  09/17/27
                  > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
                  > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
                  "/81450") but
                  > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
                  >
                  > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
                  Same
                  > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
                  recorded
                  > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
                  >
                  > Another Bix fan,
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • Albert Haim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8 12:57 PM
                    Only one take each of "Wringin' and Twistin'" and of "In A Mist" were
                    issued. The respective masters are W 81450-A and W 81426-B.

                    I only mentioned the issues of "Wringin' ..." for which I have scans
                    of the labels. That is why I did not cite the Vocalion 3150.

                    Bix can be heard on piano in

                    In A Mist Bix
                    Wringin' and Twistin' Bix, Tram and Lang
                    For No Reason At All in C Bix, Tram and Lang
                    Big Boy Wolverines

                    Bix wrote three other piano compositions (Candlelights, In the Dark
                    and Flashes) but did not record them.

                    There is an interview of Lou Panico by John Stein in which Panico
                    states that Bix recorded some piano rolls. If they were made, they
                    have not been found.

                    Albert

                    W--- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Gentlemen:
                    > Please help ...
                    > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
                    40916/81450 and
                    > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
                    09/17/27
                    > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
                    > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
                    "/81450") but
                    > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
                    >
                    > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
                    Same
                    > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
                    recorded
                    > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
                    >
                    > Another Bix fan,
                    >
                    > Jeff

                  • spacelights
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 9 2:31 PM
                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, loerchen2@... wrote:

                      > And don't forget his piano solo on "Big Boy" --
                      >
                      > Sue

                      Thanks, Sue--I didn't know about that one--one of many gaps in my
                      knowledge of Bixology!

                      John