Re: [RedHotJazz] New Stuff On The Site

  • Wouter Maréchal
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1 9:39 AM
      >> None of these links workScott... Geneva

      Works fine on my pc.

      Wouter M.
    • Ron L'Herault
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1 9:48 AM
        I tried Seminole and it worked.

        Ron L

        -----Original Message-----
        From: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com [mailto:RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com] On
        Behalf Of Midgie
        Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:58 AM
        To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] New Stuff On The Site

        None of these links workScott...

        Is the site totally down?

        Geneva

        On 7/28/06, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

        > I've added a bunch of new stuff to the site. Thanks to Jim Monroe,
        Eddie
        > Miller and Wim van der Brugghen for their help with some of these
        pages.

        > Marlow Hardy and his Alabamians
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/hardy.html
        >
        > Seminole Syncopators
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/seminole.html
        >
        > Harry's Happy Four
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/hh4.html
        >
        > Sara Martin accompanied by Harry's Happy Four
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/martinhh4.html
        >
        > Bennie Krueger Orchestra
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/krueger.html - 27 songs added
        >
        > Annette Hanshaw - 3 songs added
        > I Cover The Water Front
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/icoverhanshaw.ram
        > Don't Blame Me
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/dontblamehanshaw.ram
        > It's The Talk Of The Town
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/ItstheTalkoftheTown.ram
        >
        > Jack Teagarden Orchestra
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/teao.html - 7 songs added
        >
        > Scott Alexander
        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        > www.redhotjazz.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1 10:13 AM
          Geneva,
          The site is up and working the problem must be on your end.

          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com

          Midgie wrote:
          > None of these links workScott...
          >
          > Is the site totally down?
          >
          > Geneva
          >
          > On 7/28/06, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I've added a bunch of new stuff to the site. Thanks to Jim Monroe, Eddie
          >> Miller and Wim van der Brugghen for their help with some of these pages.
          >>
          >> Marlow Hardy and his Alabamians
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/hardy.html
          >>
          >> Seminole Syncopators
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/seminole.html
          >>
          >> Harry's Happy Four
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/hh4.html
          >>
          >> Sara Martin accompanied by Harry's Happy Four
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/martinhh4.html
          >>
          >> Bennie Krueger Orchestra
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/krueger.html - 27 songs added
          >>
          >> Annette Hanshaw - 3 songs added
          >> I Cover The Water Front
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/icoverhanshaw.ram
          >> Don't Blame Me
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/dontblamehanshaw.ram
          >> It's The Talk Of The Town
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/ItstheTalkoftheTown.ram
          >>
          >> Jack Teagarden Orchestra
          >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/teao.html - 7 songs added
          >>
          >> Scott Alexander
          >> The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          >> www.redhotjazz.com
          >>

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Midgie
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1 10:35 AM
            It was not last night and early this AM -but is fine now ;o)

            Would you like me to report *here* any link errors I find, as I do now and
            then? For instance......

            Bennie Kreuger

            (When I'm Walkin' With My Sweetness) Down Among The Sugar-Cane

            Why Did I Kiss That Girl?

            That's The Good Old Sunny South

            Your fantastic site is the best thing going on the net Scott!! I cannot
            thank you enough for saving our musical history like this!! Your great
            labor of love is greatly appreciated!!

            THANK YOU!!!!

            Geneava

            On 8/1/06, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

            > Geneva,
            > The site is up and working the problem must be on your end.
            >
            > Scott Alexander
            > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            > www.redhotjazz.com
            >

            > Midgie wrote:
            > > None of these links workScott...
            > >
            > > Is the site totally down?
            > >
            > > Geneva
            > >
            > > On 7/28/06, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >> I've added a bunch of new stuff to the site. Thanks to Jim Monroe,
            > Eddie
            > >> Miller and Wim van der Brugghen for their help with some of these
            > pages.
            > >>
            > >> Marlow Hardy and his Alabamians
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/hardy.html
            > >>
            > >> Seminole Syncopators
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/seminole.html
            > >>
            > >> Harry's Happy Four
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/hh4.html
            > >>
            > >> Sara Martin accompanied by Harry's Happy Four
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/martinhh4.html
            > >>
            > >> Bennie Krueger Orchestra
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/krueger.html - 27 songs added
            > >>
            > >> Annette Hanshaw - 3 songs added
            > >> I Cover The Water Front
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/icoverhanshaw.ram
            > >> Don't Blame Me
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/dontblamehanshaw.ram
            > >> It's The Talk Of The Town
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/ItstheTalkoftheTown.ram
            > >>
            > >> Jack Teagarden Orchestra
            > >> http://www.redhotjazz.com/teao.html - 7 songs added
            > >>
            > >> Scott Alexander
            > >> The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            > >> www.redhotjazz.com
            > >>

            > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Scott Alexander
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 21 9:40 PM
              Cliff Edwards - 31 songs added:
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/cliffedwards.html
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/ike.html

              Don Bestor Orchestra - 29 songs added
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/bestoro.html

              The Virginians - 17 songs added
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/virginians.html
              Only 8 more songs needed to complete their discography

              Bennie Krueger's Orchestra - 6 songs added
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/krueger.html

              Brox Sisters (with Bennie Krueger's Orchestra) - 5 songs added
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/brox.html

              Warner's Seven Aces - 2 songs added
              (So Is Your Old Lady, You've Got Those "Wanna Go Back Again" Blues)
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/w7aces.html

              I'd like to thank Eddie Mitchell and Bob Palmer for all of their help
              with these pages. I'll be adding a lot more music in the next few weeks
              if the data entry don't kill me!

              Scott Alexander
              The Red Hot Jazz Archive
              www.redhotjazz.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 22 2:18 AM
                Rereading the Hillman Bunk --still the best ? -- I again considered the case
                that Hillman makes --or rather the précis he gives of Marquis --- for Bunk
                adding 10 years to his age. It seems pretty convincing and conclusive. Is
                there now consensus ?

                However, the 'new' photos I find on the Louisiana Digital Library show a man
                looking nearer to 70 than 60. This may just be the wear and tear on an
                itinerant and bale toting blackman in those hard times and parts.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 22 3:17 AM

                  > Rereading the Hillman Bunk --still the best ? -- I again considered the case
                  > that Hillman makes --or rather the précis he gives of Marquis --- for Bunk
                  > adding 10 years to his age. It seems pretty convincing and conclusive. Is
                  > there now consensus ?
                  >
                  > However, the 'new' photos I find on the Louisiana Digital Library show a man
                  > looking nearer to 70 than 60. This may just be the wear and tear on an
                  > itinerant and bale toting blackman in those hard times and parts.

                  I think it's more than a consensus. There are problems with his 1900 census
                  entry (the age has been altered) but a combination of the 1910 census entry
                  and data on the marriage of his parents really puts 1889 beyond any
                  reasonable doubt by normal standards.

                  The only problem is that so many of his contemporaries accepted the earlier
                  date. While it is easy enough to fudge the difference between 55 and 65,
                  everyone involved is aware of the difference between 15 and 25. Mike
                  Hazeldine considers this problem briefly in his Grove entry without reaching
                  any conclusion or explanation (is any possible?).

                  Hillman appears unaware of Gushee's 1987 Jazz Archivist article on Bunk and
                  this is presumably where the further evidence from official records is set
                  out.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 22 5:42 AM
                    on 22/8/06 11:17, Howard Rye at howard@... wrote:

                    > on 22/8/06 10:18, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:
                    >
                    >> Rereading the Hillman Bunk --still the best ? -- I again considered the case
                    >> that Hillman makes --or rather the précis he gives of Marquis --- for Bunk
                    >> adding 10 years to his age. It seems pretty convincing and conclusive. Is
                    >> there now consensus ?
                    >>
                    >> However, the 'new' photos I find on the Louisiana Digital Library show a man
                    >> looking nearer to 70 than 60. This may just be the wear and tear on an
                    >> itinerant and bale toting blackman in those hard times and parts.
                    >

                    > Hillman appears unaware of Gushee's 1987 Jazz Archivist article on Bunk and
                    > this is presumably where the further evidence from official records is set
                    > out.

                    It is of course all set out in meticulous detail in Mike Hazeldine & Barry
                    Martyn, Bunk Johnson Song Of The Wanderer (Jazzology 2000) which rather
                    supersedes Hillman's book.

                    However, there have been significant discoveries even since then. There is a
                    extensive further discussion by Peter Hanley on Mike Meddings's web site at
                    <http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html>. Scroll down for the Bunk
                    piece. Hanley rejects both the 1879 and 1889 proposals, but be aware that
                    the Postscript contradicts some of his former conclusions

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 22 9:54 AM
                      Many thanks as ever Howard. Yes, the doctorjazz seems the latest state.

                      1885 is posited as the most likely. Some of the other dates can be explained
                      by 'cunning' bending, too old for the draft and younger for an employer. By
                      the time of his second marriage, his 1879 date was already an established
                      story, to be maintained. However, the 1900 'Gerry' census -- which must be
                      Bunk -- rules out 1879 and maybe 1885. Anybody know to what age a poor black
                      like Bunk was likely to attend school ? How is Bunk placed as the William
                      G. of the 1930 Texas census ?

                      Although the photos better fit a bend of five years rather than ten, life
                      was indeed hard, as the attrition rate down there on blacks, evidenced by
                      the mass of early mortality, testifies. A wonder for us that Bunk survived
                      at all.

                    • Scott Alexander
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 27, 2006
                        I've been pretty quiet for a while due to technology melt downs on both
                        my laptop and audio workstation, but I'm back in action again. Here are
                        the latest additions to the Red Hot Jazz Archive

                        First Ragtime Records - 5 songs added
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstragtimerecords.html
                        It's interesting to note that Arthur Collins recorded songs that appear
                        on the first ragtime, blues and jazz records lists. Wouldn't you say
                        that the dude was kinda hip?

                        Roger Wolfe Kahn Orchestra - 2 songs added (Victor 19935)
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/rwkahno.html
                        Paul Biese Trio - 2 songs added (Columbia A3359)
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/biesetrio.html

                        Thanks to Bob Palmer for the following updates!
                        Waring's Pennsylvanians - 24 songs added
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/waringspa.html
                        Annette Hanshaw
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/hanshaw.html - 10 songs added - Also thanks to
                        Jim Monroe for sending in a better version of High Upon A Hilltop
                        Chicago Footwarmers - now complete!
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/cfootwarmers.html
                        Clarence Williams' Washboard Four - now complete!
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/cwwb4.html
                        Clarence Williams' Washboard Five - now complete!
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/cwwb5.html
                        Dixie Washboard Band - almost complete...
                        http://www.redhotjazz.com/dixiewash.html

                        Scott Alexander
                        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                        www.redhotjazz.com
                      • GregL
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                          These new additions are great - thanks to all the contributors!

                          I did notice two little items that need fixin'...

                          On the Annette Hanshaw page, the link for "One Sweet Letter From You "
                          gives a "requested file not found" message.

                          And one of the new Roger Wolfe Kahn offerings,
                          http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/kahn/acupofcoffee.ram is not quite
                          right. After playing for a little over 30 seconds, it falls silent and
                          restarts. You might want to chop off that first "false start".

                          Thanks again for all the great music!