Fats Waller Organ Records - 3 Songs added

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2005
      Here are some more songs from Bryan Wright. I assume the Florence that they
      are singing about in the last two songs is Florence Mills who died in
      November of 1927. See http://www.dclibrary.org/blkren/bios/millsf.html if
      you don't know who she is.

      Here is what Bryan has to say about the songs:

      Fats always said he preferred the organ to the piano because it allowed
      him to be much more expressive in his playing. Here are some fine
      examples of Fats Waller at the Este Organ in in Victor's Camden, NJ
      Trinity Church recording studio.

      First up is "Lenox Avenue Blues" (a Fats Waller composition) from
      Victor 20357-B

      Next are two vocal selections for which Fats provided the organ
      accompaniment (credited on the label as only "Thomas Waller.") These
      two sides are seldom heard and copies of the original 78 are fairly
      scarce, and present a totally different side of Fats Waller. Very
      interesting to hear!

      "Florence" sung by Juanita Stinnette Chappelle - Victor 21062-A
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/waller/florence.ram
      "Bye Bye Florence" sung by Bert Howell - Victor 21062-B
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/waller/byebyeflorence.ram