Re: [RedHotJazz] Jazz Greats partwork, was: Corrine Co rrina by Red Nichols (bis)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2006
      Hi Sheik,

      The "Jazz Greats" were a series of about 80 magazines, each with a CD or cassette, issued in the United Kingdom by Marshall Cavendish in the mid and late 1990s. I believe they were also issued in other countries, notably Australia and South Africa. The series was edited by Tony Russell, who is a well-known and respected writer.

      They are no longer available commercially, but the CDs, and sometimes cassettes, turn up regularly on UK e-bay. Over the last year or so, I've successfully bid for almost the entire run, the exceptions being those I already have completely in John RT Davies or Ted Kendall restored versions. Most of the music is available elsewhere, but there are unusual items, e.g. on a sampler called "The Sounds of Surprise" and some other samplers. The last ones I bought were sold in batches of 4 and went for the minimum asking price of 99p. Postage was several times the amount, but I was happy to get them anyway. I don't know if anyone else has used the restoration work on the series for other reissues (it does happen...).

      The magazines seem to turn up far less frequently, but are a good read even if they tell experienced collectors little that they did not know before.

      Cheers,

      Michael

      p.s. Stephen Stroff, in "Red Head", identifies the wa-wa cornet on Corrine Corrina as Wingy Manone, but does anyone have the "Jazz Greats" magazine and know what it says?