Corrine Corrina by Red Nichols (bis)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2006
      A while back, the identity of the wa wa cornetist or trumpeter on Red Nichols' Five Pennies recording of "Corrine Corrina" was discussed but not finally resolved in this group. I recently e-bayed the "Jazz Greats" partwork CD on Nichols which has the track in question restored by John RT Davies.

      Does anyone on the list have the magazine on Nichols? They usually discuss the recordings and would most likley have ventured a guess on the identity of the wa wa soloist.

      Incidentally, virtually all of the Jazz Greats CDs have audio restoration work by John RT Davies or Ted Kendall and some volumes are very worthwhile in their own right, e.g. "The Territory Bands", which has the only good restoration of the two J. Neal Montgomery Orchestra and Taylor's Dixie Serenaders that I know of, and a Western Swing compilation. Other volumes have isolated items each worth the price of the CD.

      Michael Rader
      Karlsruhe, Germany
    • David W. Littlefield
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2006
        Hi Michael. Are these Jazz Greats CDs currently available commercially? I
        didn't find them on worldsrecords.com
        Ultimately I searched the title "The territory bands", which yielded a
        title on Jazz Hour label--contents mid '30s material...

        Thanks.
        --Sheik

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
          Michael.

          We have discussed this poser before without resolution but a trawl through
          the unindexed ' Trumpet On The Wing' produced the following :-

          ' On the date I found that Red had hired Charlie Teagarden to do the vocal
          on ' Rockin Chair' while I was supposed to play my horn. We cut a test that
          way -- and then Red and the officials on the date decided to switch us
          around and had me do the vocal with Charlie playing. It wound up with me
          getting just one note to play on that date. After 'Rockin' Chair' Red put up
          'Corrine Corrina' and told me to do the vocal. " On this side", he said " I
          don't want you to play after the vocal. Just sing and sit down." I couldn't
          stand there with just one boot on, Papa. " Man, I got to play at least one
          note," I told Red. And right after my vocal I grabbed a high C and held it
          all the way to the end--- so they took it that way.'

          Conclusive ? Not totally. There is a high held trumpet note at the end of
          the side but a long way distant from the vocal. Also the phrasing of the
          muted solo is very Wingie like, if possibly a shade too ' burlesque'. Also
          this is not wa-wa and could possibly be produced by a straight or other mute
          played into a Derby on a stand. However, I think that Wingie can most likely
          be excluded and that the soloist is either Nichols ,a good mimic with rather
          burlesque muted style or, more likely, Charlie Teagarden.

          Anybody find an example of his ---or more unlikely- --Wingie's muted style
          ?