Re: Robert Parker

  • soundofcd
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hi Mordechai,

      Well, I looked up a few links and what's on offer appears to be a
      series of CDs which Parker prepared for the BBC. No harm in that, but
      I was referring to a series of 1/2 hour programmes, called Jazz
      Classics in Stereo, which the BBC broadcast prior to releasing the
      discs.

      In fact there were two radio series. JCIS was followed by one called
      Jazz Classics A to Z.

      Incidentally, I found an interview with Parker while I was nosing
      around. it's at
      http://stefansargent.clients.neteverything.com/media/parker/interview.
      html

      Cheers,

      Fred McCormick.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Fred,
      >
      > I had the same reaction as you when I first came across this
      series. The Jazz Classics in Stereo is easily available on the web
      (see previous post from today).
      > I checked out the heading "Regional and Rare Jazz" and came across
      Charles Creath's Jazz-O-Maniacs 1927 recording of Butter Finger
      Blues. So I decided to do some serious research and do a comparative
      A_B listening session comparing Rob Parker's version to my Timeless
      CD version by JRT Davies. I started both tunes simultaneously,
      switching back and forth, letting my 60 year old listening ears do
      their thing. In this instance I have to give thumbs up to JRT, but it
      was close. Perhaps Parker's restoration system works better with
      older acoustic recordings - as mentioned I was very impressed by King
      Oliver's High Society from 1923.

      > Have fun,
      >
      > Mordechai
      >
      > soundofcd <Fredamhran@...> wrote:
      Robert Parker's remasterings first appeared in the early 1980s,
      > shortly after I got interested in early jazz. Enthusiastic as I
      was
      > about this new, to me, music, I was disheartened by the awful
      sound
      > quality of LP reissues of Morton, Dodds, etc. So awful was it in
      fact
      > that it was often impossible to get anything more than a vague
      idea
      > of what the stuff must have sounded like.
      >
      > Then BBC Radio 2 announced a series of programmes by Parker,
      called
      > Jazz Classics in Stereo. I remember listening to the first one and
      > being absolutely astounded by the sheer clarity of the music and
      the
      > amount of detail which it had now become possible to hear.
      >
      > I haven't listened to a Parker remastering in a long while and I
      > wouldn't care to comment as to how well his work stands up
      nowadays.
      > Even so, it is important not to under-acknowledge the work of a
      > pioneer. It is also important to remember that Parker's work put
      > early jazz reissues streets ahead of what was being done, or
      rather
      > what was not being done, in terms of remastering blues and old
      time
      > country music reissues.
      >
      > If nothing else, Parker certainly showed me what jazz really
      sounded
      > like.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Fred McCormick.

    • heckman_michael
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2006
        I am curious about the Glen Miller records aimed at the German
        market. You don't by chance refer to the show in which he banters in
        German with Ilsa Weingruber?

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Littlefield"
        <dwlit@...> wrote:

        > I own most of the Parker CDs, and listen almost exclusively on
        headphones.
        > As I understand it, his original efforts were done for a series of
        BBC
        > programs which were also carried on American public radio. BBC
        label issued
        > some on LP. then on CD. When BBC stopped selling them, ABC
        (Australian
        > Broadcasting Compeny) reissued them (Worlds Records had them on
        close-out
        > sale this year, no longer lists thyem). Over the years Parker
        redid the
        > early CDs, issued them and many more on his own label CDS.
        Ultimately
        > Nimbus lable issued at least some of them.
        >
        > As he himself states, he started with the cleanest copies he could
        find, in
        > fact only processed nearly mint copies. He used an oscilloscope
        and I don't
        > know what else to repair glitches second-by-second. He used
        equalization
        > and reverb to get the stereo effect. As I understand it, the
        restoration is
        > on the right channel, the eq is on the left channel.
        >
        > The result is wildly variable. I found Vol. 1 of the Olivers
        helpful in
        > hearing both cornets. But the Fletcher Henderson track I listened
        > recently was unlistenable. I have played several CDs through my
        mono PA
        > system on gigs and found that they sound better than other
        reissues.

        > The other stereoization system I know of was created by Richard
        Broady. It
        > used a combination of computer hardware and software to spread the
        sound
        > out. Several CDs using his system were issued by AVID label, and
        then
        > somehow the system was taken over or reverse-engineered or
        something, and
        > AVID issued several CDs including Morton, Teagarden, Spanier,
        Bechet and
        > other sets. I was particularly impressed by the Glenn
        Miller "Abbey Road"
        > CD (AMSC 575), which has Miller's records aimed at German
        audiences. Here,
        > too, the result is variable, but I haven't noted any disagreeable
        > elements--the stereoization just isn't as effective...
        >
        > If you want to try out the AVIDs, the stereoized CDs' catalog
        numbers begin
        > with AMSC.
        >
        > --Sheik

      • David W. Littlefield
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 16, 2006
          AVID AMSC 575: "Glenn Miller: The missing chapters". Vol. 5 "The complete
          Abbey Road recordings
          This 2-CD set contains the six programs, complete, with translation into
          English in the booklet.

          I'm curious as to what 78 listeners think of the Broadie/AVID stereo. I
          don't have 78 ears, just 2, and this set sounds great to me on headphones...

          --Sheik

        • stewmclean
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
            Many thanks for the great link.
            Parker's work was an interesting listen,I think the trouble people
            have with it is that he Did add something to the original recording
            that was not there before.That of coarse was the revere.
            If he would of put out the recordings with out adding anything such
            as revere it might of got a different response.
            I also believe that he did have a very good source disk to begin
            with.I would still add them to my collection as they do make a nice
            change from time to time. Stewart Mclean
            wrote:

            > Robert Parker passed away 12/30/2004 .
            >
            > Prof_Hi_Jinx <prof_hi_jinx@...>
            wrote: I asked JRT about Robert
            Parker (who now resides in England) shortly before