Re: Bixing

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 10 5:32 AM
      Thanks, Tommers. I think this is a great article, and reckon we
      should all do what we can to contribute to the author's
      proposed "Stuffed Owl" anthology of Bixing. For those with a taste
      for this sort of thing, I would recommend Rebels & Martyrs, the show
      that is currently on at the National Gallery here in London. It
      consists of paintings (many of them unintentionally hilarious)
      depicting the artist as tortured and misunderstood genius.
      The long-treasured, but unhelpful, notion, derived from 19th century
      Romanticism, of the jazzman (or woman) as a romantic, alienated
      outsider driven to early death by an uncomprehending public and an
      indifferent society is long overdue for the dustbin of history. I
      utterly applaud Howard when he writes: "These myths can only
      ultimately demean the memory of those about whom they are told."
      I'm pleased also to read the author's defence of Tommy Rockwell.
      Jeffrey Magee, in his fine book on Fletcher Henderson, does a similar
      job for Jack Kapp, contrasting him briefly with the more "acceptable"
      figure of John Hammond, later to become the patron both of Bob Dylan
      and, I think, Joan Baez, who appears to have been universally
      disliked by the Henderson rank-and-file.
      Robert Greenwood.
    • Bob Eagle
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12 4:32 PM
        Yes, you're right. I was (clumsily) trying to provide an explanation why he was not described as "Musician" anywhere (aside from the AFM).

        Bob

        Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
        on 12/7/06 11:16, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        > George Tall (born Leavenworth, KS 25 September 1897) appears in various
        > Draft and Census listings, initially in Leavenworth (as late as 1918,
        > indexed as "Dfall" (?)), later in Kansas City, KS.
        >
        > There is no Sam* Tall nearby.
        >
        > On that basis, it seems sensible to forget Sam and go with George. George's
        > occupation is Porter or Janitor, but if he merely "strummed" a banjo, maybe
        > he was not too accomplished or active.

        Granted, but he was a member of the AFM and he did join Local 627 at the
        same time as other members of Moten's band.

        The records would seem to be a good basis for judgement of his skills!

        Yahoo! Groups Links