Re: Sinclair Traill

  • Tony Standish
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2006
      Come on Dave
      Sinc's ear was reasonable, he had a fair bit of clout, and his sly canniness
      kept the Journal going for a long long time, with a bit of help from his
      friends.
      Tony Standish
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2006
        Tony Standish, Sir

        You are most welcome and a real blast from the past. Reading you all those
        years back was formative in my musical education.

        No way do I deride Traill's achievements in keeping a Jazz magazine afloat
        and I have a long and complete run of JJ, nor was I criticising the
        ag --in his days.

        There are fine articles although a certain amount of self-indulgence by
        regular contributors. Also, the feuds stoked in the correspondence column
        still amuse. Also, he could choose a good assistant --such as your good
        self and David Illingworth. Also, his worth was proved by the steep decline
        in the magazine after he retired.

        But as a serious critic and writer on the music ? His reviews are worthless
        and too often he makes obvious errors of ear.

        Again, very nice to hear from you and all the best down there.