Re: [RedHotJazz] A Tall Story was Benny Green (was Bixing )

    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 10, 2006

      > Tall stories Howard ? I see in Lord that the banjoist Sam Tall now has a
      > full 4 sessions from 1923-26 -- I forget which now. This neglected and
      > obscure musician was entirely a whimsical fabrication by the editor of Jazz
      > Journal , Sinclair Traill, in order to prove a point --which it still does.
      > The name was pounced on by the ace train spotter and is now a 'Fact' .

      Indeed it does (prove a point), but the ultimate irony is that the real name
      of the banjoist on these sides is known. It is George Tall! See Chuck
      Haddix's Kansas City book. So was this a double bluff?

      George Tall joined AFM Local 627 Kansas City (colored) in October 1922. I
      have seen the documentation myself. All we need now is for it prove that he
      was known as "Sam" and then where are we?

      Honestly I think we can take it that Traill actually knew that the banjoist
      was called Tall and that he only invented the Sam part. To believe anything
      else enters the realm of psychical research. It is still inexcusable that
      even Rust 6 retains the mythical Sam. They could have copied the real name
      from B&G.

      > Oh, I see that Shaw, with whose article I was singularly unimpressed
      > although I resist --with difficulty--bringing to it a dermatological
      > diagnosis, now gets billing as 'editor' for the new Rust, does this mean
      > that this edition is not actually Rust ?

      I take it you're referring to Malcolm's VJM article, which may not be
      obvious to everybody.

      My understanding is that the manuscript Malcolm worked on contained many
      changes made by Brian, and that Malcolm made further changes (such as
      incorporating (much of) the contents of my "Not In Rust" column in Names &
      Numbers and the revision of Henry Johnson & His Boys from B & G).

      I don't know which of them was responsible for dropping Donald Lambert, and
      I dare not ask.

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2006
        Yes, you're right. I was (clumsily) trying to provide an explanation why he was not described as "Musician" anywhere (aside from the AFM).

        Bob

        Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
        on 12/7/06 11:16, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        > George Tall (born Leavenworth, KS 25 September 1897) appears in various
        > Draft and Census listings, initially in Leavenworth (as late as 1918,
        > indexed as "Dfall" (?)), later in Kansas City, KS.
        >
        > There is no Sam* Tall nearby.
        >
        > On that basis, it seems sensible to forget Sam and go with George. George's
        > occupation is Porter or Janitor, but if he merely "strummed" a banjo, maybe
        > he was not too accomplished or active.

        Granted, but he was a member of the AFM and he did join Local 627 at the
        same time as other members of Moten's band.

        The records would seem to be a good basis for judgement of his skills!

        Yahoo! Groups Links