Re: Benny Green (was Bixing ): A different opinion

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 9, 2006
      Hi Albert--

      I did not ever meet Green (at least, not that I'm aware of), so my
      impression was based purely on his writing persona. I don't wish to
      demean him personally. Words are powerful things, and the quote you
      posted from his review just seemed to confirm my impression...
      Interestingly, these divergent views of him in retrospect seem very
      relevant to the "Bixing" discussion.

      Best regards,

      John

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

      > The Benny Green obituary
      >
      > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/118354.stm
      >
      > reads, in part,
      >
      > "Fellow jazz musician and friend John Dankworth, said Green was a
      > "wonderful, very warm and thoughtful man"."
      >
      > Albert
      >

      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I haven't read Berton's book, but Green always struck me as a petty,
      > > mean-spirited egomaniac... A shame, because he's a highly skilled and
      > > perceptive writer.

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2006
        Yes, you're right. I was (clumsily) trying to provide an explanation why he was not described as "Musician" anywhere (aside from the AFM).

        Bob

        Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
        on 12/7/06 11:16, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        > George Tall (born Leavenworth, KS 25 September 1897) appears in various
        > Draft and Census listings, initially in Leavenworth (as late as 1918,
        > indexed as "Dfall" (?)), later in Kansas City, KS.
        >
        > There is no Sam* Tall nearby.
        >
        > On that basis, it seems sensible to forget Sam and go with George. George's
        > occupation is Porter or Janitor, but if he merely "strummed" a banjo, maybe
        > he was not too accomplished or active.

        Granted, but he was a member of the AFM and he did join Local 627 at the
        same time as other members of Moten's band.

        The records would seem to be a good basis for judgement of his skills!

        Yahoo! Groups Links