Benny Green (was Bixing ): A different opinion

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 9, 2006
      The Benny Green obituary

      reads, in part,

      "Fellow jazz musician and friend John Dankworth, said Green was a
      "wonderful, very warm and thoughtful man"."

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@...> wrote:

      > I haven't read Berton's book, but Green always struck me as a petty,
      > mean-spirited egomaniac... A shame, because he's a highly skilled and
      > perceptive writer.

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2006
        Yes, you're right. I was (clumsily) trying to provide an explanation why he was not described as "Musician" anywhere (aside from the AFM).

        Bob

        Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
        on 12/7/06 11:16, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        > George Tall (born Leavenworth, KS 25 September 1897) appears in various
        > Draft and Census listings, initially in Leavenworth (as late as 1918,
        > indexed as "Dfall" (?)), later in Kansas City, KS.
        >
        > There is no Sam* Tall nearby.
        >
        > On that basis, it seems sensible to forget Sam and go with George. George's
        > occupation is Porter or Janitor, but if he merely "strummed" a banjo, maybe
        > he was not too accomplished or active.

        Granted, but he was a member of the AFM and he did join Local 627 at the
        same time as other members of Moten's band.

        The records would seem to be a good basis for judgement of his skills!

        Yahoo! Groups Links