Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Bixing

    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 8, 2006
      >What I was wondering is
      > wether Bix died while he was in his 3rd step or the 2nd step.

      There again, it's my brain which doesn't have time to fully understand your
      meaning, but although I am not used to advertise anything on mailing-lists I
      think I cannot do anything but recommend Jean-Pierre Lion's Bix Biography,
      and suggest listening again to all af Bix' numbers while reading his
      comments, which we all did. Just be warned it is a French writer writing
      ;-), trying to get deep inside the man's psychology and filling in whatever
      blanks he came up with so as to make a full living portrait - no criticism
      intended, Jean-Pierre, since I know you are reading our posts from time to
      time, and once again many thanks for sending me your book which has been,
      indeed, "proudly standing on my shelves" ever since.

      Patrice
    • Bob Eagle
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2006
        Yes, you're right. I was (clumsily) trying to provide an explanation why he was not described as "Musician" anywhere (aside from the AFM).

        Bob

        Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
        on 12/7/06 11:16, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        > George Tall (born Leavenworth, KS 25 September 1897) appears in various
        > Draft and Census listings, initially in Leavenworth (as late as 1918,
        > indexed as "Dfall" (?)), later in Kansas City, KS.
        >
        > There is no Sam* Tall nearby.
        >
        > On that basis, it seems sensible to forget Sam and go with George. George's
        > occupation is Porter or Janitor, but if he merely "strummed" a banjo, maybe
        > he was not too accomplished or active.

        Granted, but he was a member of the AFM and he did join Local 627 at the
        same time as other members of Moten's band.

        The records would seem to be a good basis for judgement of his skills!

        Yahoo! Groups Links