Re: Bixing

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 8, 2006
      Many of the examples Shaw gives seem suspiciously prone to bad
      phrasing (exaggerated for comic purposes?). For example, absolutes
      ("taught him everything he knew," "the only time it was fun at all,"
      "brown paper bag he always used") almost invariably mean that a
      statement is incorrect (please note "almost" countering the absolute
      "invariably"), yet their use is not unique to uninformed
      romanticizing; lots of "well-informed" writers use them as well.

      Some qualities of what Shaw calls "Bixing" seem to echo poetic
      reminiscences by Bix's friends, like those of Hoagy Carmichael and
      Eddie Condon. Really, the "verifiable facts" about people after they
      die can seem quite mundane or statistical--what's left are primary
      documents (sometimes inaccurate) and the many, many subjective
      viewpoints of people who actualy had some contact with the individual
      (I tend to prefer the "tall tales" told by those who knew Bix to
      studied debunkings written by those who didn't).

      Roll 'Citizen Kane'...
    • Bob Eagle
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2006
        Yes, you're right. I was (clumsily) trying to provide an explanation why he was not described as "Musician" anywhere (aside from the AFM).

        Bob

        Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
        on 12/7/06 11:16, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        > George Tall (born Leavenworth, KS 25 September 1897) appears in various
        > Draft and Census listings, initially in Leavenworth (as late as 1918,
        > indexed as "Dfall" (?)), later in Kansas City, KS.
        >
        > There is no Sam* Tall nearby.
        >
        > On that basis, it seems sensible to forget Sam and go with George. George's
        > occupation is Porter or Janitor, but if he merely "strummed" a banjo, maybe
        > he was not too accomplished or active.

        Granted, but he was a member of the AFM and he did join Local 627 at the
        same time as other members of Moten's band.

        The records would seem to be a good basis for judgement of his skills!

        Yahoo! Groups Links