Irvin Jones, early boogie-woogie pianist

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
      I was just thinking about the intro to "Jail House Blues" / Bessie
      Smith , which is very similar to Cow Cow Davenport licks, and then
      theres a very short but typical boogie-woogie walking bass , however,
      soon the song turns into something else. Being recorded at September
      1923, which is quite early for this, well, it surprised me , to put it
      better, I was wondering wether there are other signs for boogie
      woogie elements in other Irvin Jones' works.
      Thanks in advance,
      Tommersl
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2006
        on 5/7/06 23:15, tommersl at tommersl@... wrote:

        > I was just thinking about the intro to "Jail House Blues" / Bessie
        > Smith , which is very similar to Cow Cow Davenport licks, and then
        > theres a very short but typical boogie-woogie walking bass , however,
        > soon the song turns into something else. Being recorded at September
        > 1923, which is quite early for this, well, it surprised me , to put it
        > better, I was wondering wether there are other signs for boogie
        > woogie elements in other Irvin Jones' works.

        I can't answer that but I can confirm that irving Johns is named on
        Columbia's file cards for this session so his presence is as certain as
        anything human can ever be!