Since you went away

  • Sean Moyses
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2006
      Folks, I just heard a record playing on the wondeful internet station
      Radio Dismuke by Irving Mills and his Hotsy Totsy Gang called "since
      you went away". The cornet solo of 32 bars was very "Bix" and I was
      wondering if anyone can shed light onto whether or not it was actually
      Bix playing it or in fact a very good imitator of his style?
      Best wishes,
      Sean Moyses
      www.SeanMoyses.com
    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
        That was Jimmy McPartland, who was one of the many Bix admirers in the
        1920s. Jimmy memorized all of Bix's solos in his records with the
        Wolverines. When Bix left the Wolverines in Oct 1924 and was replaced
        by Jimmy, he fitted right in. When Jimmy went to New York to join the
        Wolverines, he roomed with Bix. Jimmy kept his friendship with Bix to
        the end of Bix's short life.

        Albert