Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Chas. Thomas

    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 30, 2006

      > An obvious source for discographical info. on Big Charlie would be
      > Clarence. He was sure around till discographical days and must have been
      > contacted for his input to the Rust/Allen '' King Joe Oliver'. Is there any
      > interview material with Clarence extant ? Howard ?

      Whatever there is will have been used in Tom Lord's Clarence Williams, so I
      think we can be sure nothing relevant survived. Bill Russell saw Clarence's
      files in their original state in the late 30s, but was unfortunately mainly
      interested in Oliver. By the time people with broader interests got back to
      him the files had succumbed to various disasters natural and otherwise,
      including theft by collectors, a common occurrence in the 40s and 50s which
      made many potential informants deeply suspicious of the ofays who had
      appointed themselves custodians of yesterday's blues.

      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 2, 2006
        on 2/7/06 9:22, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        > Louella Jones - masters 5695-6
        >
        > (The 1982 B&GR gave Miley as cornetist for Louella Jones' session.)

        and still does. This may be an oversight or it may be a judgment!