Clarence Williams CDs

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
      >'Clarence Williams 1929-1930' (Classics 810), respectively. Though Frog put out
      >some great Clarence collections by label, I thought Classics' reissue
      >of his complete masters (except OKeh 8204--not found in time) was a
      >major achievement.

      Did Classics do any real own work on these? Their usual practice is to copy LPs and maybe use cassette tapes of 78s to fill the gaps.

      Best regards,

      Mit WEB.DE iNews werden Sie ├╝ber die Ergebnisse der wichtigsten WM-Begegnungen
      per SMS informiert: http://freemail.web.de/features/inews.htm/?mc=021202
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
        on 29/6/06 12:52, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

        >> 'Clarence Williams 1929-1930' (Classics 810), respectively. Though Frog put
        >> out
        >> some great Clarence collections by label, I thought Classics' reissue
        >> of his complete masters (except OKeh 8204--not found in time) was a
        >> major achievement.
        >
        > Did Classics do any real own work on these? Their usual practice is to copy
        > LPs and maybe use cassette tapes of 78s to fill the gaps.

        Dunno about that, but I am just playing the Margaret Webster OKeh coupling
        on Document - any excuse not to do what I'm supposed to be doing. It is
        plainly a JRTD dub which sent me looking for where they had ripped it off
        from.

        The answer is not far to seek: The Clarence Williams Collection, Vol. 3, on
        Collectors Classics COCD29 is the source and that's the one to get

      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
          Hi Michael,

          I can't say what they did, but I imagine acquiring the complete set of
          Clarence's master takes took some significant effort (likewise with
          their Henderson reissues). I like the mastering on the series--it's
          consistent and less shrill than many CD reissues of vintage material.

          Best,

          John

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
          wrote:

          > Did Classics do any real own work on these? Their usual practice is
          to copy LPs and maybe use cassette tapes of 78s to fill the gaps.

          > Best regards,
          >
          > Michael Rader
        • tommersl
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
            wrote:

            > >'Clarence Williams 1929-1930' (Classics 810), respectively. Though
            Frog put out
            > >some great Clarence collections by label, I thought Classics' reissue
            > >of his complete masters (except OKeh 8204--not found in time) was a
            > >major achievement.
            >
            > Did Classics do any real own work on these? Their usual practice is
            to copy LPs and maybe use cassette tapes of 78s to fill the gaps.

            > Best regards,
            >
            > Michael Rader

            Is Classics the same label that issues post war Blues artists ? I
            didn't know they are issuing prewar Jazz as well, if so but their
            compilations of post war are fine so far gathering stuff that was
            never issued as chronological complete set, although sometimes missing
            a few tracks. But my latest purchased from Frog and Documents making
            me think the right direction of pre war Jazz is keep ordering from
            both. As an example Kid Ory from Document is the most brilliant Ory I
            encountered so far, the same for Frog's Johnny Dodds, the most amazing
            Dodds I ever saw. Though I don't have many other , maybe there are
            better that I don't know of, but , I can tell a good thing when I
            encounter it and the fact is that I can't stop listen to some of those
            old recordings.
            tommersl
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
              on 29/6/06 22:10, tommersl at tommersl@... wrote:

              > Is Classics the same label that issues post war Blues artists ? I
              > didn't know they are issuing prewar Jazz as well,

              Yes, it is the same people.

              BUT their extensive catalog of pre-war jazz has become very hard to obtain.
              I believe they mean to re-press the ones that have gone out of print but I
              can't see much sign of them doing it. French sources are very evasive about
              what actually happened (Patrice?) but it looked to me as though they took a
              big loss on a distributor going out of business.

              AND what Michael says about the pre-war jazz being copied from all over the
              place is generally true. Some of the issues (for example the Willie Lewis
              Swiss recordings on Classics 880) are taken from the very worst type of
              1950s and 1960s LPs, and many others use domestic cassette tapes as sources.

              The post-war stuff comes generally but not always from much better sources,
              simply because there are no bad ones to copy!

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
                >> Is Classics the same label that issues post war Blues artists ? I
                >> didn't know they are issuing prewar Jazz as well,
                >
                > Yes, it is the same people.
                >
                > BUT their extensive catalog of pre-war jazz has become very hard to
                > obtain.
                > I believe they mean to re-press the ones that have gone out of print but I
                > can't see much sign of them doing it. French sources are very evasive
                > about
                > what actually happened (Patrice?) but it looked to me as though they took
                > big loss on a distributor going out of business.

                Sorry, I have no info. Years ago I couldn't find any in or around Paris, I
                thought they had vanished like the Media7 Masters of Jazz, and only
                discovered they still existed when I went to Brussels. Maybe online... I'll
                check.

                P.