Re: Rite Tite - a tribute to Bix & Tram

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2005
      Hello Andreww,

      I just wrote to you off list.

      Yes, I have noticed the tribute to Bix and Tram in Benny Moten's "Rite
      Tite."

      Here is what I wrote in
      http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=27
      140&messageid=1045742983

      Bennie Moten's "Rite Tite": A Remarkable Recording
      by Albert Haim
      Norman and Frank,
      Thanks for calling our attention to this remarkable recording. I have
      enjoyed Bennie Moten's recordings for a long time (I like very much
      the tuba beat by Vernon Page from 1925 on), but this one is out of the
      ordinary. Not only do we hear (twice) Tram's break from "Singin' the
      Blues" but the trumpet player (Rust gives Ed Lewis and Booker
      Washington; which one is it? also Rust gives the instrument as a
      cornet; it sounds like a trumpet to me), produces a sound that,
      although it has none of the melody or harmony or tone of Bix's solo in
      "Singin' the Blues," is somewhat Bixian in "feeling." It reminds me a
      bit of Wild Bill Davison's solo in Benny Meroff's "Smilin' Skies"
      which at one point was thought to be by Bix (to my ears, not at all
      Bix's tone and style, but perhaps a "Bixian feeling.") The whole "Rite
      Tite" recording is, to my ears, different from other recordings by
      Bennie Moten at the time. It has more of a "ballad" than a "blues"
      feeling. If you want a wild guess on my part, this is Bennie Moten's
      tribute to Bix and Tram's "Singin' the Blues." Has anyone written
      about Benny Moten's intentions when he wrote and recorded this tune?

      Albert Posted on Feb 20, 2003, 4:09 AM

      Regards

      Albert
      http://bixbeiderbecke.com

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <homzy@v...> wrote:
      > Here's one that Dick Sudhalter "missed" in his great book, "Lost
      Chords".

      > Has anyone else noticed the fantastic tribute Bennie Moten's Kansas
      City