New 78 rpm internet radio station

  • vntager8io
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2006
      After several months of preparation, I'm pleased to announce that "Shellac Stack" internet
      radio is up and running! Shellac Stack internet radio is an online 24-hour-a-day station
      playing a mix of 78s from my collection (1890s-1950s). For several years, I've been
      converting my 78 collection to MP3. Now, with several thousand records in digital format, I
      decided the time was ripe to put those MP3s to work in an online radio station. I mostly
      collect 1910s-1930s jazz and dance bands, but have records from many different genres.
      Shellac Stack internet radio is a "grab bag" format, with everything from '20s dance bands
      to "hillbilly" records to big bands, to comic songs, to blues--in short, if it's on a
      commercially-made 78 in my collection, it's good to go! (I do try to limit the spoken word
      recordings though and go primarily for musical selections.)

      I launched the stream yesterday and after testing it for a while, all seems to be in good
      order. If you want to try it out yourself, just to go:

      http://www.live365.com/stations/bixvenuti2

      Or you can find a link for the stream on my Shellac Stack webpage:

      http://www.shellacstack.com

      Listening is free, but requires registration with Live365 (also free). The stream is in 56k
      mono MP3, so the quality is fairly high for an internet radio stream, but that may cause
      some trouble for listeners with dial-up connections. Listeners with cable, DSL, T1
      connections or better should have no problem.

      Enjoy!
      Bryan Wright
    • nts
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2006