Rite Tite - a tribute to Bix & Tram

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2005
      Here's one that Dick Sudhalter "missed" in his great book, "Lost Chords".

      Has anyone else noticed the fantastic tribute Bennie Moten's Kansas City
      Orchestra pays to Bix & Tram in their rendition of "Rite Tite"? Even
      further, everyone imitates their white NYC counterpart including a "Schutty"
      piano solo.

      Familiar licks fly around like bats at crepuscule. For instance, you'll hear
      the Tram-triplets from "Singin' The Blues" at two phrase endings.

      Question: Are other pieces from this session so tributary?

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montréal
    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2005
        Hello Andreww,

        I just wrote to you off list.

        Yes, I have noticed the tribute to Bix and Tram in Benny Moten's "Rite
        Tite."

        Here is what I wrote in
        http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=27
        140&messageid=1045742983

        Bennie Moten's "Rite Tite": A Remarkable Recording
        by Albert Haim
        Norman and Frank,
        Thanks for calling our attention to this remarkable recording. I have
        enjoyed Bennie Moten's recordings for a long time (I like very much
        the tuba beat by Vernon Page from 1925 on), but this one is out of the
        ordinary. Not only do we hear (twice) Tram's break from "Singin' the
        Blues" but the trumpet player (Rust gives Ed Lewis and Booker
        Washington; which one is it? also Rust gives the instrument as a
        cornet; it sounds like a trumpet to me), produces a sound that,
        although it has none of the melody or harmony or tone of Bix's solo in
        "Singin' the Blues," is somewhat Bixian in "feeling." It reminds me a
        bit of Wild Bill Davison's solo in Benny Meroff's "Smilin' Skies"
        which at one point was thought to be by Bix (to my ears, not at all
        Bix's tone and style, but perhaps a "Bixian feeling.") The whole "Rite
        Tite" recording is, to my ears, different from other recordings by
        Bennie Moten at the time. It has more of a "ballad" than a "blues"
        feeling. If you want a wild guess on my part, this is Bennie Moten's
        tribute to Bix and Tram's "Singin' the Blues." Has anyone written
        about Benny Moten's intentions when he wrote and recorded this tune?

        Albert Posted on Feb 20, 2003, 4:09 AM

        Regards

        Albert
        http://bixbeiderbecke.com