Oreste & His Queensland Orch.

  • Pavel Pitra
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2005
      Hello to everyone!

      first of all best wishes to everyone for this new year! Hopefully it
      will be full of discoveries of great unheard music for everyone and
      full of interesting discussions on our list.

      I recently bought a couple of CDs on the Royal Blue label (mentioned
      here - if I remember well - by Dave Littlefield some time ago). They
      are direct un-restored transfers from 78s of more or less hot dance
      music of the 20s and later (well, I only bought the 20s). On one CD,
      focused on the Edison discs, I found a great song - Eyeful of You -
      that I just put in the "Files" section of the site of this
      mailing-list. It features (just after the vocal) a rare solo on
      probably a jaw-harp (I've never heard it on this kind of records
      before) followed by a great trumpet solo. The CD notes say that it is
      by Oreste & His Queensland Orch. I didn't find much information abou
      this band and I would therefore appreciate if someone would share his
      knowledge about this band with me. Does the trumpet sound like
      someone you know? I believe that some people suggested that Red
      Nichols recorded a couple of songs with this band, but I don't know
      when and I'm unable (sorry!) to say if this guy sounds like Nichols
      or not. There is no information about the personnel in the Rust's
      books (JR or ADBD).
      In any case, it's a nice record and if you cannot give me more info
      about it, I hope at least that you'll enjoy the music.
      I wanted to upload two "versions" - one "light"
      ("Oreste-EyefulOfYou.mp3" about 1.5 MB) and one "heavy"
      ("Oreste-EyefulOfYou-a.mp3" about 3.8MB) - because I had the
      impression that the high compression really deteriorated the sound
      and I nearly only heard the "78s noise", but the server doesn't want
      the large file... So I just hope that you'll be able to hear
      something... But even the better version is unfortunately quite noisy.

      Anyway, enjoy it!

      Cheers, Pavel (Rennes, France)