Re: [RedHotJazz] Zutty & His Band

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006

      > Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
      > found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

      Eubanks is a bit of mystery figure. John Chilton's estimate of his borth
      date is about 1900 in East St. Louis, IL. he apparently died in a mental
      hospital in Missouri sometime in the 50s. Not very satisfactory.

      In January 1921 he was with Jelly Roll Morton in Seattle, probably not
      wearing diapers. According to Phil Pastras (Dead Man Blues, p.102) he got
      left in charge of the band while the boss was pursuing his real vocation as
      a gambler!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006

        > Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
        > found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

        Actually born Springfield, Mo, 21 April 1894, according to his Draft
        Registration of 5 Jun 1917, at which date he was a musician in East St.
        Louis.

        This Horace Eubanks doesn't immiately come up on a quick census search. The
        name is surprisingly common!

      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
          Thanks for the info. I've updated the page.

          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com