RE: [RedHotJazz] Zutty & His Band

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
      Michael

      Many thanks. No wonder I couldn't recognise anybody and was also fooled by
      the NYC mislabel on RHJ because it sure sounds Chicago and Punch came to
      mind.

      Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
      found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

      http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006

        > Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
        > found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

        Eubanks is a bit of mystery figure. John Chilton's estimate of his borth
        date is about 1900 in East St. Louis, IL. he apparently died in a mental
        hospital in Missouri sometime in the 50s. Not very satisfactory.

        In January 1921 he was with Jelly Roll Morton in Seattle, probably not
        wearing diapers. According to Phil Pastras (Dead Man Blues, p.102) he got
        left in charge of the band while the boss was pursuing his real vocation as
        a gambler!

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006

          > Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
          > found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

          Actually born Springfield, Mo, 21 April 1894, according to his Draft
          Registration of 5 Jun 1917, at which date he was a musician in East St.
          Louis.

          This Horace Eubanks doesn't immiately come up on a quick census search. The
          name is surprisingly common!

        • Scott Alexander
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
            Thanks for the info. I've updated the page.

            Scott Alexander
            The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            www.redhotjazz.com