Re: [RedHotJazz] Zutty & His Band

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
      Dave
      Zutty And His Band: Vernell Yorke t,v;, Horace Eubanks cl, as, v; Henry Gordon p; Mike McKendrick g; Leonard Bibbs sb; Zutty Singleton d. Chicago, March 27 1935.

      The session is available in its entirety on:
      GANNET CJR 1001 Chicago 1935.

      Michael
      http://smartsurfer.web.de/?mc=100071&distributionid=000000000071
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
        Michael

        Many thanks. No wonder I couldn't recognise anybody and was also fooled by
        the NYC mislabel on RHJ because it sure sounds Chicago and Punch came to
        mind.

        Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
        found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

        http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006

          > Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
          > found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

          Eubanks is a bit of mystery figure. John Chilton's estimate of his borth
          date is about 1900 in East St. Louis, IL. he apparently died in a mental
          hospital in Missouri sometime in the 50s. Not very satisfactory.

          In January 1921 he was with Jelly Roll Morton in Seattle, probably not
          wearing diapers. According to Phil Pastras (Dead Man Blues, p.102) he got
          left in charge of the band while the boss was pursuing his real vocation as
          a gambler!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006

            > Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
            > found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

            Actually born Springfield, Mo, 21 April 1894, according to his Draft
            Registration of 5 Jun 1917, at which date he was a musician in East St.
            Louis.

            This Horace Eubanks doesn't immiately come up on a quick census search. The
            name is surprisingly common!

          • Scott Alexander
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
              Thanks for the info. I've updated the page.

              Scott Alexander
              The Red Hot Jazz Archive
              www.redhotjazz.com