Zutty & His Band

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
      Scott.

      Many thanks for the very fine 'First Jazz' article and, as ever, for the
      latest additions.

      We now have one side from the 27 March 1935 Zutty And His Band Deccas. But
      the site gives no personnel except Eubanks.

      Can anybody oblige and also any idea where these might now be available
      except maybe Chronological Classics -- if they have a Zutty ?

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
        Zutty And His Band: Vernell Yorke t,v;, Horace Eubanks cl, as, v; Henry Gordon p; Mike McKendrick g; Leonard Bibbs sb; Zutty Singleton d. Chicago, March 27 1935.

        The session is available in its entirety on:
        GANNET CJR 1001 Chicago 1935.

        Michael
        http://smartsurfer.web.de/?mc=100071&distributionid=000000000071
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
          Michael

          Many thanks. No wonder I couldn't recognise anybody and was also fooled by
          the NYC mislabel on RHJ because it sure sounds Chicago and Punch came to
          mind.

          Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
          found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

          http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006

            > Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
            > found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

            Eubanks is a bit of mystery figure. John Chilton's estimate of his borth
            date is about 1900 in East St. Louis, IL. he apparently died in a mental
            hospital in Missouri sometime in the 50s. Not very satisfactory.

            In January 1921 he was with Jelly Roll Morton in Seattle, probably not
            wearing diapers. According to Phil Pastras (Dead Man Blues, p.102) he got
            left in charge of the band while the boss was pursuing his real vocation as
            a gambler!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006

              > Anybody know anything about Yorke and/or Eubanks ? For the latter I have
              > found a St Louis birth date of 1921 --which seems unlikely.

              Actually born Springfield, Mo, 21 April 1894, according to his Draft
              Registration of 5 Jun 1917, at which date he was a musician in East St.
              Louis.

              This Horace Eubanks doesn't immiately come up on a quick census search. The
              name is surprisingly common!

            • Scott Alexander
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
                Thanks for the info. I've updated the page.

                Scott Alexander
                The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                www.redhotjazz.com