Jimmy Yancey Article added

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      Uncle Dave Lewis has graced us with a new article about Jimmy Yancey.
      You can read it here http://www.redhotjazz.com/jimmyyancey.html

      Thanks Dave, sorry it took me so long to post this!
      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
    • Prof_Hi_Jinx
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2006
        Examination of the 1900 Census reveals that Alonzo Yanzy (Census spellings
        are often phonetic) was born in May 1897 to Moses and Irene. His elder
        siblings Maggie and Harry are listed but there is no sign of Jimmy.
        Maggie's birth month is given as July 1893, so Jimmy could not have been
        born in February 1894 as reported to Albert McCarthy.

        A birth year of 1901 now seems likely, because at the 1910 Census (16 April
        1910) he was shown as 9 years old, under the spelling "James E. Yancy".

        Bob

        > Uncle Dave Lewis has graced us with a new article about Jimmy Yancey.
        > You can read it here http://www.redhotjazz.com/jimmyyancey.html
        >

        > Thanks Dave, sorry it took me so long to post this!
        > Scott Alexander
        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        > www.redhotjazz.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2006
          Bob,
          Thanks I'll buy it. I've changed the page.

          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com