Re: Digest Number 408: Henderson

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2006
      The excellent book "The Uncrowned King of Jazz: Fletcher Henderson and
      Big Band Jazz' by Jeffery Magee, provides several examples of the
      inluence of Whiteman and other white musicians on Henderson. Here are
      some of the subtiles in the book:

      The Revised Original Dixieland Jazz Band. Remarks about the 1927
      recordings by Henderson of old ODJB tunes: Sensation, Livery Stable
      Blues, and Fidgety Feet.

      Whiteman Stomp. Magee refers to Henderson's recording of this tune as
      the "apotheosis of symphonic jazz." Wang Wang Blues is also discussed.

      Revisiting Bix and Tram (Bill Challis). Magee's analysis of Henderson
      recordings in 1931 "Singin' the Blues" (twice) and "Clarinet
      Marmalade." These are almost note for note copies of Bix and Tram's
      recodings of the tunes.

      Good musicians appreciate what other good musicians do.

      Albert

      PS I highly recommend Magee's book on Henderson.