Re: [RedHotJazz] Thornton Brown

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 26, 2004

      > Just run across a couple of tracks by Ethel Waters (Calssics 672) with
      > accompaniment including cnt. Thornton Brown. This is a very interesting --I
      > assume, E.Coast --stylist.
      >
      > I can find nothing about him except the tracks listed RHJ 'Original Jazz
      > Hounds'.
      >
      > Anyone have information or know if these tracks or others with him are
      > available ?

      Only that the first Original Jazz Hounds session (14 July 1925) was
      contracted by Columbia from Thornton G. Brown. This looks like a Perry
      Bradford group but there are reportedly no vocals on this first session,
      though this has never been corrected in successive editions of Rust.

      The solution is found in a news item in the Pittsburgh Courier of 5
      September 1925, datelined Providence, RI, 8 September (which is clever you
      must admit), relating that Thornton G. Brown, former cornetist with Deppe's
      Syncopators, is directing the Original Jazz Hounds under the management of
      Perry Bradford. Brown and most of the band members were said to be touring
      the Columbia Burlesque Circuit with a show called 7-11.

      On 17 July 1926 the Baltimore Afro-American reports him in Lorraine
      Faulkner's band touting with Ethel Waters Vanities. In an advert from the
      New York Lafayette (New York Age, 18 September 1926) he gets separate and
      bizarre billing: Lorraine Faulkner's Orchestra, with Thornton Brown, Former
      Cornetist. In October he was still touring with Ethel but now as a member of
      Will Marion Cook's Philahrmonic Orchestra, described as "Thornton Brown, the
      jazz cornetist."

      These seem to be the only references in the Hoffman index. So we have a kind
      of one and a half year snapshot of a career that presumably lasted a mite
      longer.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 10, 2005
        A rather belated response to this one, I'm afraid.

        The Original Jazz Hounds were available on a VJM LP with restoration work by John RT Davies (unusually for the label). Since LPs are rather out of favour, you might be able to pick this one up.

        The Original Jazz Hounds were a Perry Bradford related group, so this is a possible candidate for the Timeless Perry Bradford CD which should be out any minute now (a picture of the cover was in the Timeless advert in Vintage Jazz Mart).

        Frog also had a Perry Bradford CD scheduled as one of their next releases, but since David French is no longer among us, it's difficult to ascertain whether it will see the light of day - maybe Howard Rye would know.

        Best regards,

        Michael Rader

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 10, 2005
          Thanks Michael.

          I live Germany, as your email address suggests you do too, so some distance
          away from source of old VJM vinyl. Therefore I await the Timeless with hope.

          Do you have the VJM ? If so how do you rate Brown and are his influences or
          origins detectable ?